*NEW* getting Nigerian bottle babies, what size sweater to knit??

__TJ__

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I’m trying to knit some sweaters for dwarf Nigerian goat babies need size ideas? Cat sized? Terrier sized?

Btw hello I’m new, haven’t get goats yet but established chicken duck and guinnea owner. I have goat friends who have mentored me.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome :frowglad you joined us! No clue as to what size to knit...maybe cat size or a little bigger :idunno. Maybe others will post and give you a better idea. We don't use sweaters on our nigies.

__TJ__

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
It’s -5 at night here in bc Canada and they’re due any day, I’d rather have a sweater and not need it than have to make a fix on the fly. Took hubs three years to agree to goats so there’s no way on earth I get to keep them in the house till they grow.
Want to make sure they are ok

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
It’s -5 at night here in bc Canada and they’re due any day, I’d rather have a sweater and not need it than have to make a fix on the fly. Took hubs three years to agree to goats so there’s no way on earth I get to keep them in the house till they grow.
Want to make sure they are ok

I can understand your concern with it being so cold there. We do use warming barrels for our kids to hang out in after they are born. Once a doe kids she gets her own area with a barrel so she and her kids can bond.

__TJ__

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
They’re going to be bottle babies in all likelyhood, the mum abandoned her kids last time and if human hadn’t been there they would have been lost so we are assuming the worst (that she will abandon again and I am set up to take them and bottle feed then 24/7 if need be) if she takes to them then I’ll be thrilled to spend time with them and collect at 8 weeks when they’re ready. Trying to set up for every eventuality.

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They’re going to be bottle babies in all likelyhood, the mum abandoned her kids last time and if human hadn’t been there they would have been lost so we are assuming the worst (that she will abandon again and I am set up to take them and bottle feed then 24/7 if need be) if she takes to them then I’ll be thrilled to spend time with them and collect at 8 weeks when they’re ready. Trying to set up for every eventuality.
I'd say large cat / small dog based on the size of our surprise twins. I have to ask though. If she was a bad mom the first time, why in the world would she be bred again? Our girl rejected hers the first few days and we had a hell of a time holding her in place to let them feed before she finally accepted them. She's become a great mom since, but no way I'd ever allow her to have more just based on those first few days. I wouldn't want to risk it being genetic, the poor mothering skills, and just don't think it's good for them to be bottle babies.

Don't get me wrong. We have bottle babies here. We have a sanctuary, so we get all of the local rejected, orphaned, sick, injured etc. Bottle babies are cute for a few days. Not much fun after. And they don't learn as well how to be a goat in our experience. I have one we just can't contain. Still thinks he's a human and wants to be with us. I think bottle feeding can cause some psych issues honestly. I understand it is necessary some times but something that we try hard to avoid.

__TJ__

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Totally agree and I agree it’s not ideal, it’s not my goat so I don’t get much say. Options here are limited.

Last edited:

__TJ__

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
And I bought home this special little poppet yesterday, she’s adorable and we all love her!

ETA she will not be an only goat I’m still waiting for the ND to kid her some sisters

Attachments

• ECF3A89F-3AA1-4BC8-B345-FCA400385404.jpeg
    ECF3A89F-3AA1-4BC8-B345-FCA400385404.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 198

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
She is beautiful! What size sweater did you knit? BTW, I think you are marvelously talented, to be knitting goat sweaters. I never learned to knit.