Cluck & Holler Farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi all! My name is Michelle and I’m new to Backyard Herds. I’ve also just recently became the head of a small goat herd. We have a mature billy and just bought a couple of bucklings as well. The mature billy has started a weird snorting sound and is “biting” (quickly licking and snipping at their sides) and pawing at them. I’ve read all I can find on it and the advice and info is all over the place, ranging from normal pecking order behavior to he’s trying to kill them. I know he could truly hurt them if he wanted, and I’m scared he may whether he means to or not. Advice, please? I have a video I can share if I can figure out how. lol Thank you in advance.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome :frow, glad you joined us! Lots of great/knowledgeable/helpful people here!

Based on what you described, your older buck is trying to show the younger ones whose boss. Our bucks will do this type of behavior to each other and at the does when they are in heat. I would say just to keep an eye on him that he doesn't become overly rough with the younger bucklings.

How old are the bucklings and do you have a space to move them to if he becomes to rough?

Cluck & Holler Farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Welcome :frow, glad you joined us! Lots of great/knowledgeable/helpful people here!

Based on what you described, your older buck is trying to show the younger ones whose boss. Our bucks will do this type of behavior to each other and at the does when they are in heat. I would say just to keep an eye on him that he doesn't become overly rough with the younger bucklings.

How old are the bucklings and do you have a space to move them to if he becomes to rough?

Thank you! The bucklings are 5 weeks old, so they’re just little fellas, and beginning to learn how to head butt and everything they’ll need to be billies. Yes, we do have the space to separate them if we have to.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
He sounds like he is blubbering at them ... it is like a mating ritual. You mention the pawing and the lip, and the grunting.
A picture is good if you can't get the video.
He may just be letting them know the order. If he is ramming them and knocking them hard and all over then that isn't good.

Latest posts