New goat momma with twin week old mini-Nubians--bottle feeding question

MaryZoe

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Can I bottle feed them powdered whole goat's milk? Or is the pasteurized goat's milk I buy in the store better? My concern is that the store goat's milk is low fat. I assume I'd have to add some fat of some sort in that. I've also used whole cow's milk, which they seem to enjoy. I can't help wonder if the powdered goat's milk is better, but I haven't read anything online about people using it. Why would that be? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I've had these goatlings since they were a day old and their previous owner has generously provided me with mild from their momma (who refused to nurse them when they were born). But that service is ending soon. So what should my next step be? Many thanks! MZ

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have used whole cows milk from the store but I take out 2 cups of milk (per gallon) and replace that with 1 cup of plain live culture yogurt and 1 cup of heavy cream. If they had colostrum from mom, they should be good with this or whichever milk replacer you choose. I have heard that some folks have had issues with powdered milk replacer but I haven't tried it so I can't advise there.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mot folks advocate using whole milk from the grocery store if you won't have access to the mother' milk anymore. Most babies readily accept it and it's leaps and bounds better than any powdered formula or replacer. Good luck!

MaryZoe

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Got it. I'll go with the whole cow's milk. They definitely got mom's colostrum and almost a week of her milk (in my bottles). I think I'll try the live culture yogurt and heavy cream additions since my guys don't seem to poop as much as people suggest they should. They seem joyful and active and perfectly healthy, but they don't poop after every feeding, which many people suggest is normal. Sigh. You can tell I'm a newb. I worry about everything--almost as much as I did with my first baby! ;)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH and congratulations on being a new goat mama. We love pictures :)

I use cow's milk as well, but I do like the idea of the yogurt and the cream, I might try that. Since you will need to switch them do it gradually so start now while you still have the goat's milk. Add a little of the new milk to the bottle each time until you have them switched over.

I wouldn't worry too much about the poop. I do not recall my kids pooping after each bottle.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hadn't heard of the yogurt and cream either - but sounds delicious! :drool I might try some of that myself, lol!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We mix yogurt or "kefir" in with the bottle calf milk, especially if it is powdered milk replacer. Gives them live cultures in their gut... it is not always available so I don't think to tell people about it.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH! Congrats on your new family additions :D =D I'm sure they're as cute as buttons! Pictures if you would, please & thanks :) Lots of great info and shared experiences in the various threads. Hope you'll browse around and find something of interest. Please join the discussions as you feel the desire. Make yourself at home!