New Goat Owner.....HELP !!

Shannon Odessa

Herd lurker
Reaction score
My kids and i got a baby nigerian dwarf goat yesterday. It is a buck about 3 months old. We didn't do a whole lot of research before we got him.....I KNOW I KNOW...BAD !! Did n't know until we got home that we should have gotten 2 goats cause he SCREAMED for awhile. He quieted down when we put him in the barn at night though. Will he maybe be ok with being the only goat and if we do get another one can i get another male?? Also what kind of treats can we give him to make him start coming to us so he won't be so scared? Any helpful hints would be greatly appriciated. Thank you !!!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
@Shannon Odessa - Welcome to BYH! I've moved your topic to our goat forum where it will get the attention that it rightfully deserves.

You've come to the right place to do your research. Check out our Goat Articles Section and read through some of our existing topics on the forums to learn a lot and ask as many questions as you like.

Is your little guy just going to be a pet? If so then I would recommend having him wethered (castrating him) because as he grows older his hormones will kick in and he will start doing nasty things such as peeing all over himself among other things.

Yes, you should definitely look for a friend for him. Look for a goat around his age another wethered male would be best if these are just pets.

Treats - I've always found tree leaves to be a special favorite for my goats whether they were fresh or dried. Corn chips are another good option. Some goats like raisins.

The best thing you can do to get your goat to get used to you and want to be around you is to spend time with and around him even if it's just minutes a day. It's better to give minutes a day every day than an hour one day a week.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Shannon Odessa - Welcome to BYH! I've moved your topic to our goat forum where it will get the attention that it rightfully deserves.

You've come to the right place to do your research. Check out our Goat Articles Section and read through some of our existing topics on the forums to learn a lot and ask as many questions as you like.

Is your little guy just going to be a pet? If so then I would recommend having him wethered (castrating him) because as he grows older his hormones will kick in and he will start doing nasty things such as peeing all over himself among other things.

Yes, you should definitely look for a friend for him. Look for a goat around his age another wethered male would be best if these are just pets.

Treats - I've always found tree leaves to be a special favorite for my goats whether they were fresh or dried. Corn chips are another good option. Some goats like raisins.

The best thing you can do to get your goat to get used to you and want to be around you is to spend time with and around him even if it's just minutes a day. It's better to give minutes a day every day than an hour one day a week.
x2

littlegoat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I suggest getting another goat since they are very social animals. And you can give them horse treats, you can buy them at feed-stores.
Good luck!

Shannon Odessa

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Thank you for your advice. We did get a second goat. We were told the first goat was 3 months old and the second one is 4 months old. There is a HUGE size difference between them. Someone is not honest with us. The second goat now has diahrea. He has only been with us 2 days now.....could this just be from stress from the move ?? The second goat is VERY attached to people. Whenever my kids leave the area they are in he SCREAMS very loudly. He is also eating a lot of weeds and our oak tree . His previous home had dirt only so im hoping his tummy is just getting used to all the new food. We give both of the goats alfalfa as well.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It could be from the move or it could be a worm bloom from stress or cocci, or dietary. It is hard to know. You could get a vet to do a fecal for you. What breed is the new goat? Is he the biggest?

Shannon Odessa

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Diahrea has stopped but they won't stop screaming !!!! Please someone tell me there is a way to remedy this!!!

littlegoat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
They are probably hungry, I do free-feeding with my goats, are you?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just a thought here...but free-feeding might not be the best idea right now when they're just getting over diarrhea.....