New Goat Owner just lost a young doe - question

Jea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So, we are new goat owners. Our goats are pets and we have two guernsey goat does (17 wks and 14wks.) 10 days ago, we decided to add two nubian wethers to our herd (15wks) and while we were picking them up, another nubian doe kid that was at the farm screamed after them, so we took her too. The wethers are very outgoing and friendly immediately. They ate well and seemed to fit right in. The nubian doe (bebe) was smaller, very very timid and really just stayed near the wethers. She ate and drank, but seemed so shy. Her original owner said she had been very sick at 2 months old and was nursed back to health.

She came from a dry lot and our goat yard has a lot weeds and leafy things for them to graze, (which she did) and we started to see some scours so we started her on Corid late last week. She was slowly warming up to us, and allowing us to pet her. Then yesterday morning, after the goats all ate breakfast we saw her just standing in one spot seeming out of it. Her body seemed to be shaking slightly and she seemed spacey. We called the vet and they recommended some vitamin B (which we gave her, and also shot some electrolytes into her mouth.) At 3p, she wasn't any better so we took her to the vet. She had a high temp (107) and he said "bacterial infection, viral infection or rabies." He gave her an antibiotic shot and we were supposed to follow up with 3 more. Then, this morning, she was dead on the barn floor.

We are just so sad that we lost this goat. She was such a sweet girl. We did drop her back at the vet so they could confirm it wasn't rabies (or we'll all need treatment) but I wanted to see if anyone has experienced something like this. We're concerned for our other 4 goats. We took all their temps this morning and each was 102.4 and 102.3. They are all active and eating/drinking, but this came on so fast it has us really freaked out.

Any ideas on this? It doesn't sound like we're going to get a clear diagnosis from the vet, just a confirmation that it wasn't rabies and advise to just "watch the others." So I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on what could have caused this or what might have happened.

Attachments

• bebe.jpg
    bebe.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 91

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't have any idea what it could be, but I wanted to say welcome as it looks like you're new. And also that I am sorry about your little doe! It's rough to start out with something like this and I imagine as new goat owners you're more than a little overwhelmed and worried!

Now I'll step aside and wait for the experts!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH and I am sorry that a losing a goat was your introduction to raising them. Goats are hard... that being said my first suspicion is what your vet must have thought at first too...Thiamine deficiency which can be brought on with the use of Corid. It doesn't happen often, many people use Corid on their goats, but there is that chance. While Vit B is the correct treatment it needs to be Thiamine in particular and not just a Vit. B complex. It needs to be a lot of Thiamine.

Now if that wasn't it then it could have been any number of infections, just like your vet said and there is no way to really know without a necropsy being done.

The scours could have just been from the diet change, or from cocci, but without a fecal test being done you are just guessing. Many of us do that from time to time, but the fecal test is really the best option.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sorry you started out this way, but welcome to BYH and hopefully all the great goat folks we have here can help you in future issues. Browse around the forum and you'll find a wealth of shared info, knowledge and experiences. When you feel inclined, comment or post away! Make yourself at home here. Glad you joined us.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Ohio, and I'm sorry you lost the little doeling. I hope the rabies comes back negative.

Maybe whatever she had at 2 months was still in her system?

Jea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. We are waiting to get the confirmation about the rabies, but when we brought her in, the vet gave her three shots of thiamine and a shot of antibiotic, but he did say the fever was really high and that 2 more degrees would be brain damage. He said if it wasn't rabies, his guess would be some type of infection.

I appreciate the input. We are just hoping the other 4 stay healthy. We cleaned out the entire barn today, replaced all the hay and scrubbed the platforms they sleep on. We are going to keep taking temperatures on the other 4 to make sure this doesn't spread. This has us nervous about making the wrong move.

Thanks again

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like Polio. Goat polio can look similar to enterotoxemia. With such a high fever sounds like polio.

I am so sorry you lost her.
Corid is often recommended by vets that work with cattle. Most goat vets and goat producers use di-methox.

As @babsbag said the Thiamine needed is Rx. Simple b-complex injectable that you find over the counter is not enough.

The move more than likely caused a stress bloom and that weakens the immune so there could have been more than one issue.

Hopefully all the goats have had 2 CD & T vaccinations.
A fecal on all the goats would be a good idea.

Welcome to BYH, we hope you stay with us and join the community!

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome!!
Sorry you lost her:hugs.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The thought of rabies is terrifying. Did the seller give you any indication of what was wrong with her previously? The fact that your vet did the thiamine injections is a good sign...he seems to know goats and that is always helpful. Goats can just go downhill so fast sometimes no matter what we try it doesn't work. Hope the rest of your little herd stays healthy.