1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Goat with teeth knocked out? - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

New goat problems.

Discussion in 'Behaviors & Handling Techniques - Goats' started by EmilyE, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Jan 9, 2019
    EmilyE

EmilyE Herd lurker

I have had a wether (pygmy) and a doe (nigerian dwarf) for the past 6 years. My wether passed away from reoccurring urinary calculi a week ago. He was the boss of the two goats, but they grazed together and slept in the same area without a problem. Since I thought that having just one goat was a problem and they needed a "friend", I bought a young nigerian doe that is approximately 10 months old and had been bottle fed. She is very friendly and wants to be with my older doe. My older doe like to be near us, but does not like to be touched. The older doe runs her off and does not want her around at all. Not within 15 feet of her. She watches her and does not let her near the hay or water. It is so sad.
    Now I fear that my old doe will not be enough of a companion for the sweet new goat. We have only had her for 4 days. Should I expect it to improve? I am going to have to build another shelter for the new goat since she will not let her in.
    So much for getting a new "friend".

2. Jan 9, 2019
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Greetings and welcome to BYH Emily, from NE TX! So glad you joined us, but sorry for the reason that brought you. I don't have enough experience with what you're dealing with to offer any advice. Hopefully some of the other great goat folks will chime in. There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. You'll get to "meet" folks at the same time. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Oh, and we all love pics, so post them anytime you feel the need! Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me :old will never remember from this post & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

B&B Happy goats likes this.
  3. Jan 9, 2019
    Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Herd Master

She'll probably settle down, just give her some time.

B&B Happy goats likes this.
  4. Jan 12, 2019
    SonRise Acres

SonRise Acres Overrun with beasties

I don’t know if it’s the “professional” method, but when I introduce a new goat to the herd, I make all good things come attached to them. First I come with them and give extra attention. Even my “touch me not” goats do like me being near. I also make sure any treats or feeds are tied to the new member. This has really helped with the transition.

You also have to remember a few things. Your doe has experienced a loss. Her buddy is gone and they experience their own brand of grief. So she might not be herself. And in all herds there needs to be some meeting of the minds to establish dominance. How will your doe do this? Via food and access to you.

It’s true when they say that things just take time. Once the doe figures things out and your young doe respects her place in the family, things should get better.

Ridgetop and B&B Happy goats like this.
  5. Jan 12, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats True BYH Addict Golden Herd Member

Welcome to BYH from Florida EmilyE, this site is full of very knowledgeable people willing to share infromation and answer questions....enjoy your new goat and post some pictures if you can...we love them :)