New goat... (updated pic post 23)

Snowhunter

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She was sold to me as a Pygmy, but she lacks the stouter bone structure of one, to me anyways (but I'm still a newbie to this) supposedly 1 monthish bred and a few days past kid weaning (that was awesome, she's still bagged up so we tried to milk her some tonight to help relieve pressure and hopefully keep production going, my first time milking, yay!) Oh, and she's approx 2yo and has some little wattles as well

So, here she is...a bit thin and scruffy, but she'll be on mineral and baking soda free choice and grass hay, just like the 3 others we have, and will slowly be introduced to some grain.

2186_new_goat_001.jpg

2186_new_goat_003.jpg

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Congratulations! She looks like she has some Nigerian in her. Not sure if she is pure but definitely not 100% Pygmy.

Snowhunter

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank You!!! I was kinda thinkin that might be a possibility...

I can say, the small teats are a PAIN to milk.. goodness!! But after a few minutes I kinda had the hang of it. She even stood while my DH held her and the kids had her munching on some privet hedge. Thinking maybe she'd been milked before? She is an absolute sweetie.. the kids can't wait till they can start helping to milk her! (I told em after she settled some more and got used to being milked)

This was an unexpected purchase, so we dont have a stanchion/milking station done yet :lol: Thats on the list for tomorrow.. Guess there's no more sleeping in for me! Oh well, as far as I'm concerned, bein as its to milk, not a problem :D

happydodgefarm6113

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am new to goats but she sure is pretty, good luck with the milking. It sounds like you got a nice calm doe for getting experience with milking.

Snowhunter

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
happydodgefarm6113 said:
I am new to goats but she sure is pretty, good luck with the milking. It sounds like you got a nice calm doe for getting experience with milking.
Thanks! Yup, I was prepared to get kicked and smushed and covered in milk... nope! Though I just milked her into the dirt, since our milking pail is taller then the bottom of her belly (Note to self-get smaller pail!) She just stood calm, for the most part. Not bad for only a couple hours after bringing her home :)

I don't s'pect wen it comes time to milk my Nub/Lamancha doe next spring it'll be so easy :/ :lol:

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
If you start training your Nub/munchie doe now she'll be fine by spring! Just make being on the milking stand a rewarding place to be (food) and handle her udder. Not too much, just enough to get her to crouch, and lots of praise. Touch her all over, even her hoohoo area even though you might feel like a perv. :p It comes in handy when you need to clean her up after kidding or give her a hygiene clip before, etc.

I know nothing about Nigerians, but those horns look a little small for a 2 year old. My yearlings have bigger horns. Do nigis have slower growing horns than standard goats? :idunno

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I've seen 50% Pygmy / 50% Nigerian Dwarf that will have that build...it's more of a ND build than a pygmy...

A lot of people will call any small goat a pygmy...you are correct in your assumption that she's not 100% pygmy...not cobbly or barreled at all.

Depending on where you are some of that scruffy coat could be winter coat shedding.

She's lovely. Congratulations!

Snowhunter

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
freemotion said:
If you start training your Nub/munchie doe now she'll be fine by spring! Just make being on the milking stand a rewarding place to be (food) and handle her udder. Not too much, just enough to get her to crouch, and lots of praise. Touch her all over, even her hoohoo area even though you might feel like a perv. :p It comes in handy when you need to clean her up after kidding or give her a hygiene clip before, etc.

I know nothing about Nigerians, but those horns look a little small for a 2 year old. My yearlings have bigger horns. Do nigis have slower growing horns than standard goats? :idunno
Oh yes.. she LOVES to get scratched all over... udder, hoohoo and feet too! I do practice with her, but I imagine the first actual milking might be interesting (She just has that kinda personality :lol: )

You do bring up a good point about the horns... the pygmies I had a few months ago had longer horns and were easily 2years oldish or so... thanks for that!

Hmmm, so if she's more yearlingish, that would mean she got bred VERY young.. and with her supposedly bred back. would there be anything to watch out for, with her? (Could that explain her semi scragly condition, she was also covered in mites, poor girl)

Snowhunter

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
elevan said:
I've seen 50% Pygmy / 50% Nigerian Dwarf that will have that build...it's more of a ND build than a pygmy...

A lot of people will call any small goat a pygmy...you are correct in your assumption that she's not 100% pygmy...not cobbly or barreled at all.

Depending on where you are some of that scruffy coat could be winter coat shedding.

She's lovely. Congratulations!
Thank You! :)

I'm hopin she sheds out some, poor girl.

I'd like to get her a bath, but we're in a cold snap, and she's still somewhat traumatized after the move.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Snowhunter said:
freemotion said:

Oh yes.. she LOVES to get scratched all over... udder, hoohoo and feet too! I do practice with her, but I imagine the first actual milking might be interesting (She just has that kinda personality :lol: )

You do bring up a good point about the horns... the pygmies I had a few months ago had longer horns and were easily 2years oldish or so... thanks for that!

Hmmm, so if she's more yearlingish, that would mean she got bred VERY young.. and with her supposedly bred back. would there be anything to watch out for, with her? (Could that explain her semi scragly condition, she was also covered in mites, poor girl)
You can "judge" her age by her teeth...I'll have to see if I can find the info on how that's done cause I don't remember off the top of my head...