New Goat

Brandi Krisatis

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Saturday I will be picking up a 4 month old male fainting goat. I have a few questions since I haven't had a goat since I was young. He is not fixed yet, I don't plan on breeding. At 4 months, can you still band them? Or should I have a vet do the procedure? Or do I really need to get him fixed? I heard intact males can be dirty. Right now he is very sweet.
He was bought from an auction and was bottle fed. He has not been around other goats, but I do plan on getting at least one more in the future, if I can sneak it by my fiance!
I do plan on calling my vet, that is a farm vet, to get set up for immunizations. As I don't think he has had any preventative care.
Any other info on care I should know about?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20180725_191527.jpg
    20180725_191527.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 71

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Yes you can and should band/castrate/neuter him and 4 months is fine. Whatever method you chose is fine as well. He should have a CD&T vaccine and booster
http://articles.extension.org/pages/27116/goat-vaccination-program
Some/many/I feed pelleted food to all my goats with AC (Ammonium Chloride) in it for urinary health for males, especially neutered males. Some only do so while they are growing - first 12-18 months. Many stop feeding males pelleted food/grain when full grown and just feed good quality hay free choice 24/7. Hay should be provided regardless unless the goat has access to long stem grass/forage. He will also need access to goat mineral which is much higher in copper than generic or other animal mineral. Most recommend granulated/loose mineral as opposed to blocks as they can't get what they need from licking and chewing the block can damage teeth. They typically won't eat "old" mineral so only provide a little each day fresh. They self regulate very well.

Latest posts