New Goats Are Home But have a concern.

Daddy Dave

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello all. Last week we purchased our myotonic goats. Twin wethers Willy and Waylon. Super cute but shy. They are only 2 months old. They will run from us and will be very shy. I thought it was because of the new surroundings and all. So to help them get use to us and the new home we went back to the breeder and purchased another familiar face for them. We got Pete. Pete was a bottle baby. He is 4 months old and friendly as the day is long.
I was hopping that now the twins have a friendly face around they would be more comfortable. Well they are. They will come out with Pete. Pete is the leader by far.
One thing I find is odd. Pete will bully the twins around food. For a place to sleep. Letting the twins back in the barn ect..
Is this odd for a bottle baby to be this way? And any tips to get the twins less shy?

I know they will never be like Pete but would like them to be social. Pete comes when called and follows you around. Loves his animal crackers and is a kisser.

Like I said we are new to goats. They have a huge run 3k square ft and a nice brand new barn and all the love they can get.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Try sitting in the run with them and offer treats(the food you feed) from a pen by your feet so they get use to having you there. It most likely with take time, we have kids that are friendlier then others and will climb into our laps when we sit down.

post some pictures of your new additions :)

Daddy Dave

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yes, My wife and I along with our daughter have been spending more time sitting in the barn with them then anything. Willy will eat out of my hand for a second but wont leave Waylon's side. You can sure tell they are twins. They are like each others shadow. And boy when I pick one up the other screams LOL.

rodriguezpoultry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I had a pair of wethers too. One guy is the sweetest goat you could ask for. Very friendly and wants to be near you.

His brother? Hates me. Not even with food can I get close enough to him. He has to be cornered before you can touch him. He is slated for the meat plant.

I think it can be dependent on each goat. I've found that offering animal crackers really brings them in. They need to SEE that you are giving them the crackers so they associate you with them. Also sit quietly in the pen and not moving around alot will help. They are first and foremost "prey" animals and will behave like a prey animal when spooked.

Latest posts