New goats...rough coats...

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi all. So, two weeks ago we bought new goats from a farmer who has moved out to Las Vegas. The goats have been under the care of renters for 8 months. They were to buy feed and such in leu of rent. The momma and two month old kid are ND, and the other doe is a fainting goat. Their coats seem rough to me. We bought 6 goats in total. 2 we sold, 1 more sells tomorrow. The other fainting goat had the same type of coat. They are almost like a Siberian husky....very thick. Perhaps that’s the breed? The one month old has think fur too, but shaggy, white. Since the goats came they have been chowing down on their free choice minerals. I give them the Wind and rain from TS in the red bag from the cattle section. I was told it’s the best out there? The guy didn’t think theyd ever been copper bolusEd...so, that needs done. Do I do the baby..2 gm? Her tail is always down....but she’s a happy little thing. But, no fishtail. She’s very chubby!! I suppose she’s still nursing, although I haven’t seen it, and I sure see her eat from me!! I just want to get these guys on the righ5 track as soon as I can...Thanks for the help!
354FE082-8CA0-4430-8093-D40BBB66E8C6.jpeg
06B8F52A-1C08-42BA-B676-2E70477BDB1E.jpeg
33D5069C-CD25-4AAC-B803-4D84087EA03F.jpeg
DA5722D2-1E44-4334-A2FE-12ED5D9FD2D2.jpeg
A5EEF695-BD12-4A38-A6D2-324D0723E867.jpeg
47C46006-8AFF-4497-ADFE-AD2D8363E1D8.jpeg

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your on track...good feed, vit/min and I think you said you wormed them. Now you need to remember that they are sporting winter coats, so that isn't going to show the fast improvement that you would see in summer dress. You tend to panic, just chill and wait for a shed for improved coat. ND & fainters do tend to have a thicker, longer goat that say, Nubians. :D

Also, there are some lovely blue eyes looking at me!!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, I was hoping a lot of it was due to winter coats. I mean, the baby is only two months old and fat, so she has to be pretty healthy! :). Speaking of her...when do I start to wean her? I haven’t seen her nurse, but I would imagine she still is. Do you think we could milk this new momma to keep her in milk? I only have one milk stand. It’s in my nice warm warm with my moms. Can I take one doe in to try to milk or is that wayyyyy to unsafe right now? I basically answered my own questions, but still had to hear confirmation. So, I suppose, wait until a warm day, and maybe tie her to a tree just see if she’s even still in milk? Her udder and nipples do not look big anymore.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am confused why can't you use your milk stand? Is it because it is in with another goat?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
In all probability the one mo old is still nursing! They normally do until about 3 mos, some will nurse as long as doe allows, even a yr! Milk stand -- in the aisle? Try taking her in. If not separated overnight from kid, you won't get much as she will have nursed.

Are you concerned because she has never been milked? Well, more than likely she will not be fully co-operative. As to keeping her in milk -- if you stop, so will she. They all have a limit as to capacity, & duration but, all will slack and dry if not milked. It's nature, it's what happens.

If you want milk, don't wait for the kid to stop nursing. It works better to share by limiting access by kid, you milk, doe makes more & kid will nurse. If you do NOT keep volume up, she will dry on you.

Our dairy members will confirm for you. Actually, they mostly (almost always) take kids, bottle raise, even with doe milk. It is the job of their doe to produce MILK for them. Kids are adorable collateral.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
That and you get friendly kids. I probably end up pulling this next set to have them extra friendly.

Latest posts