new goats!

mutchi

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
i got some adorable goats! their names are pain and panic, i was wondering if i should know some things about them, like what envirment, what toys what treats ect!

Chiknoodle

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
i got some adorable goats! their names are pain and panic, i was wondering if i should know some things about them, like what envirment, what toys what treats ect!
For toys I would say a spoil and a log. Cut the log to about a foot long (12”). Then put the log on one of the parts that you cut it at. Slide it near the spoil so they can get on the log, the hop for the log to the spoil. For treats... ANIMAL CRACKERS!!!!! I don’t know why, but they love animal crackers! My baby goat, Cinnamon, ate two whole cookies at the same time! TWO!! Also get them this thing called a “Billy Block”. They love it. It is a salt block that is berry bush flavored. But remember to put it inside when it rains. For a food bowl and water bucket, I used “Forflex”. They are real good. For their food, use “Farm Crest Tasty 10”. For hay, the really like this stuff called lespadinia hay. Give them hay in the morning, and feed in the evening. A way to judge if they have worms or not is their eyes. If their eyes are foggy they have them. That‘s basically it! Contact me if you have any more question! 😊
@Chiknoodle

BarnOwl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

Hi, I am new to goats also and am still trying to figure things out. Basics are fresh water, good hay, and loose minerals available at all times. The vet came out the other day to check out my new doelings. She talked to me most of the time about parasites. Don't feed off the ground, easier for them to pick up parasites that way. Barberpole worms can be a problem where I am located and are really awful. cocidiossis can be a problem with young kids. Vet recommended mine be treated with Corid for 5 days. :(
Do you know about FAMACHA?

Vet recommended boulders as play items--they can help with hooves (which need to be trimmed periodically), but that's probably not something I'll be able to manage right away. I am trying to find some cable spools, but right now mine like to jump on a big log in the backyard, an old chair, and the chicken coop (lol).

I'd love to see pics of your goats. What kind are they?

Kristie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I can only speak for my two Nigerian Dwarf does. They love peanut hay, but will make do with timothy/alfalfa mix if peanut is not available. They have a Little Tykes playhouse that I got second-hand which provides both a toy and shade for them. I did have a mini-trampoline in with them, but they chewed the fabric loops and it was a goner. Now they have a large dog cot in their pen and they like sunning on that. At night, I lock them in a small barn that includes a long sleeping bench and a fan to help keep the bugs away.

Enjoy your goats!!

P.S. I second the animal crackers mentioned above! I had to transport a goat to the vet in the back of my SUV. I was by myself and just kept throwing animal crackers in the back. She stayed where I wanted her and traveled like a champ! I've also wrangled my neighbor's wandering goats with tortilla chips (and mine love those two). If you bring a chip bag around them, you better be prepared to SHARE! lol

Last edited:

Kristie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Here are my girls.

Attachments

• Cocoa and Ivy.jpg
    Cocoa and Ivy.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 79

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our goats eat most things that are green....
We also feed first cut grass hay when they are out of green stuff. When they are lactating they get sweet feed or shelled corn depending on what we have and their weight.

Ours also like plain animal crackers, ginger snaps, graham crackers, or apple slices for treats. For toys...anything they can climb or jump on., they like to be off the ground.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I love those names! :lol:

I'm looking into getting goats again and I already have names picked out. When asked about their names I wanna be able to say, "Classified and Confidential" (aka Classy and Connie). hehe

mutchi

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to goats also and am still trying to figure things out. Basics are fresh water, good hay, and loose minerals available at all times. The vet came out the other day to check out my new doelings. She talked to me most of the time about parasites. Don't feed off the ground, easier for them to pick up parasites that way. Barberpole worms can be a problem where I am located and are really awful. cocidiossis can be a problem with young kids. Vet recommended mine be treated with Corid for 5 days. :(
Do you know about FAMACHA?

Vet recommended boulders as play items--they can help with hooves (which need to be trimmed periodically), but that's probably not something I'll be able to manage right away. I am trying to find some cable spools, but right now mine like to jump on a big log in the backyard, an old chair, and the chicken coop (lol).

I'd love to see pics of your goats. What kind are they?
sorry, i was gone for a while, they are nigerian dwarf goats, i will post pics in a sec!

Latest posts