1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Meet Pearl, New Horse - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

New guy loooking to get stung

Discussion in 'Everything Else Bees' started by hitnspit, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Nov 18, 2014
    hitnspit

hitnspit Chillin' with the herd

Where would one go to get started in producing his own honey. Any help would be wonderful. Thanks

2. Nov 18, 2014
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

Hopefully some place that has friendly bees. :)

When I started I found someone on Craigslist that was offering classes and selling class members starter hives. I lost that hive after 3 years, but definitely the best bees I have owned.

You might check with the cooperative extension in your area and see if they have classes. You could also post on Craigslist that you would like to apprentice with someone or depending on where you live trade space for a hive for lessons in caring for the hive.

And last but not least there are many sources online. Also a good basic book is Beekeeping for Dummies. And right here too

3. Dec 2, 2014
    Amiga

Amiga Chillin' with the herd

I have appreciated the information from backyardhive dot com - Corwin Bell. I don't follow his every suggestion, but I like the approach, and I have one top bar hive, new this year. Gold Star Honeybees' Christy Hemenway has been helpful. And I like this site, too.

Local beekeepers associations are good for a number of things - meeting beekeepers, educational programs, that kind of thing.