Crealcritter

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Why? Do your feet need trimming? :lol: Glad you made it over here. You have lots of room now for animals. You can raise a feeder pig, steer, get the grandkids a pony..........:yesss:
Ah no... No pony!

But I did go and see my neighbor Gary this afternoon. I picked out a angus cow, her calf (heifer) and a young uncut bull. Hopefully that will get me started with some cattle. But I can't bring them home until I get at least one pature secured with brabwire. The deer keep running through the electric wire, I'm growing tired of picking it up. This also means reconfiguring a lot of the fencing. I'm thinking of 2 - approx 7 1/2 acre pastures and rotating between the two. Still trying to figure out access to the pond from both pastures. But That'll give my wife about 3 or so acres to mow with the zero turn. Sound like a plan?

BTW... Gary has 17 tractors, a bull dozer and a backhoe all Case. I only have two tractors and a bobcat. My wife said "Are You OK? you got that look in your eye"

I have so much to learn... everything is happening so fast. I mean I even started wearing bibs this week. I guess there's no turkeys ng back now. Not that I would want to.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
OMG -- I see soooo many questions coming....... :lol:

Flag the fence, then the deer will jump it and not run thru it. ;)
You have been reading about breeding ages and not running bull & too young heifers together, right?? We talk about ALL parts, not just hooves. Don't be alarmed. (like you would be? not)

Still thinking sheep? Well, might want to reconsider fence materials.
also, electrified.

We are so much fun over here! :yesss: Welcome!!

Crealcritter

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
OMG -- I see soooo many questions coming....... :lol:

Flag the fence, then the deer will jump it and not run thru it. ;)
You have been reading about breeding ages and not running bull & too young heifers together, right?? We talk about ALL parts, not just hooves. Don't be alarmed. (like you would be? not)

Still thinking sheep? Well, might want to reconsider fence materials.
also, electrified.

We are so much fun over here! :yesss: Welcome!!
No... What wrong with running a bull, cow and hefier together?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, here goes. You don't need a bull. You will have 2 cows. 2. For 2 cows you can run them across the road to be bred or bring the bull over to breed them. A bull causes problems that you are not equipped to handle or deal with. Even a high headed cow will be a problem that you don't want. You have this place to enjoy it, not be kept out of a pasture because of a bull/cow that wants to run you down and mash you to a flat greasy spot. In fact, I vote against a cow and heifer. I'm certainly no expert, but it makes much more sense to raise 1, maybe 2 steers for the freezer and to share the meat with your kids. Let them pay for the processing for "their" meat. That will get your feet wet, so to speak and help you decide if you want to "raise" cattle or just buy a steer or two every year.

You need a good fence and a corral with shelter to contain them in, if needed. Even a "tame" cow can hurt you. You have grand kids that you want to have a safe environment for them to enjoy the farm. Before you bring ANY animal onto the farm, you need to study that animal, learn about it and decide if that is really what you want. Even small livestock can be dangerous. I love and adore my sheep, but rams are notorious for "ramming" into people, they can break bones and do damage to unsuspecting people. That's why we drove to Tennessee a couple of years ago, almost 1400 miles round trip to get a particular ram, because he is calm and extremely gentle. We have grand kids.

We currently have a steer. That is all that I will ever have. A steer for the freezer is all that I want to do. You have lovely pasture that will support cattle, but I honestly think that you need to not rush into things. We raise feeder pigs. I don't want to keep sows and a boar. A couple of pigs to raise to slaughter size fits my needs just fine. We do raise the sheep because 1. They are a size that I can handle. 2. They produce a lamb in 5 months gestation. 3. That lamb is ready for the table in 6-10 months.

I definitely want to see you enjoy your farm. Animals enrich our lives and give us much more than we give them. Educate yourself and make a wise decision before getting in over your head. @farmerjan how am I doing?

Latest posts