New guy

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
OMG -- I see soooo many questions coming....... :lol:

Flag the fence, then the deer will jump it and not run thru it. ;)
You have been reading about breeding ages and not running bull & too young heifers together, right?? We talk about ALL parts, not just hooves. Don't be alarmed. (like you would be? not)

Still thinking sheep? Well, might want to reconsider fence materials.
also, electrified.

We are so much fun over here! :yesss: Welcome!!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, here goes. You don't need a bull. You will have 2 cows. 2. For 2 cows you can run them across the road to be bred or bring the bull over to breed them. A bull causes problems that you are not equipped to handle or deal with. Even a high headed cow will be a problem that you don't want. You have this place to enjoy it, not be kept out of a pasture because of a bull/cow that wants to run you down and mash you to a flat greasy spot. In fact, I vote against a cow and heifer. I'm certainly no expert, but it makes much more sense to raise 1, maybe 2 steers for the freezer and to share the meat with your kids. Let them pay for the processing for "their" meat. That will get your feet wet, so to speak and help you decide if you want to "raise" cattle or just buy a steer or two every year.

You need a good fence and a corral with shelter to contain them in, if needed. Even a "tame" cow can hurt you. You have grand kids that you want to have a safe environment for them to enjoy the farm. Before you bring ANY animal onto the farm, you need to study that animal, learn about it and decide if that is really what you want. Even small livestock can be dangerous. I love and adore my sheep, but rams are notorious for "ramming" into people, they can break bones and do damage to unsuspecting people. That's why we drove to Tennessee a couple of years ago, almost 1400 miles round trip to get a particular ram, because he is calm and extremely gentle. We have grand kids.

We currently have a steer. That is all that I will ever have. A steer for the freezer is all that I want to do. You have lovely pasture that will support cattle, but I honestly think that you need to not rush into things. We raise feeder pigs. I don't want to keep sows and a boar. A couple of pigs to raise to slaughter size fits my needs just fine. We do raise the sheep because 1. They are a size that I can handle. 2. They produce a lamb in 5 months gestation. 3. That lamb is ready for the table in 6-10 months.

I definitely want to see you enjoy your farm. Animals enrich our lives and give us much more than we give them. Educate yourself and make a wise decision before getting in over your head. @farmerjan how am I doing?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree 100% to what Bay said. Even if you are dead set on getting a cow and heifer calf, no bull is needed in such a small operation. Too expensive, too dangerous, too fiddly to keep them in their own space until you need them. You can take her to a farm that has a bull or even pay a vet to AI her if you want a particular breed or quality of a certain breed.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Animals need controlled breeding. It isn't like a hen who lays a clutch and hatches chicks. You have to consider that bull WILL breed that young heifer way sooner than her body is ready to carry. It will stunt that heifer -- even a chance you will lose her at birthing. She needs to grow up -- we are assuming she is young. And once several head of cows you still need to plan breeding's. Separate at calving, etc. Both health & marketing reasons, in addition to safety.

Plus the issues Bay has mentioned with safety. We're talking 1200# plus here, on 4 fast legs, can jump a fence with ease, who is not human friendly at many times. Always wary of you & defensive of your presence.

@farmerjan where are you???????