New Hay, when to use?

Yorkshire Coop

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So I’ve been lucky enough to have my own hay cut & baled this year. It was cut 1st July. I’ve read so many different opinions on when to use but wondered what you all did? I don’t want to use it too early for Harry horse & give him upset stomach but I don’t really want to be paying a fortune for other stuff either. I will I have to but could do without the extra cost of buying in as hay/haylage & straw prices have gone through the roof this year.

Thanks for any info.

Yorkshire Coop

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Unfortunately that’s not an option as I don’t have any older hay only the bales cut this year. At the moment (we don’t have a lot of grass) I’m using small baled/bagged haylage at £7 ($9) a bag to top him up. It’s crippling me at the moment with the cost as a bag is only lasting 2-3 days and this is for summer feeding. Dread to think how much it will be for winter feeding if I’m still having to use it plus it’s in short supply with the weather being odd to say the least this summer.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I see you are in UK. Isn't there a drought or at least low rains? You may have some grass, since you say "cut your own".

Consider using some graze and less hay, if a possibility? Here, my horses are grazing 24/7 options...no hay going out there and won't for a while. They are well fleshed. :D But being minis, they don't do much. Older breeding herd, retired and now pasture ornaments. My pastures are way more than I need with so much rain & heat right now. I am bless with that as you know it saves a lot of money.

Also, check options for roughage as beet pulp, pellets...for $$

ETA: Any chance that watering a small paddock would be an option? Even a small section of a larger field, to help out? Grass grows fast with water but, you may not have that option there.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately that’s not an option as I don’t have any older hay only the bales cut this year. At the moment (we don’t have a lot of grass) I’m using small baled/bagged haylage at £7 ($9) a bag to top him up. It’s crippling me at the moment with the cost as a bag is only lasting 2-3 days and this is for summer feeding. Dread to think how much it will be for winter feeding if I’m still having to use it plus it’s in short supply with the weather being odd to say the least this summer.
Better buy enough now at summer prices, to get thru winter.
I try to buy enough each year to get at least 1/2 way thru the next year's winter.
Last year's flood messed that up, but I'm almost back on track now.