New headgate coming!

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can't make one, just ends up terrible. So when I came across this ad again, I decided to ask for a custom one made.

They sent me a quote the next day, had it done and ready to ship 2 days later. They sent a picture to be sure it's what I was looking for. And now it will be shipped to me tomorrow!
Can't wait to get it!
Will most likely buy another later in Spring.
Here is the picture of mine before shipping.
I asked for no stand & full 2x4s for all of it. They also decided to upgrade me to bolts. :D
I don't need the stand, don't milk them. I'll be mounting this on a narrow and long hall I'll be making out of pallets. There will be a round catch pen and then the tapering hallway to this head gate. Should make things a bit more easy and smooth going.
Hoping it's not too tall and that I won't have to mount it upside down or make a small ramp up to it, but we'll see. I'll ask for adjustments on the next one once I figure out the kinks with this one.
I'm still deciding on what color to paint it!!

Anyone else have sheep head gates?
heafgate.jpg

http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/grq/4799992257.html

Last edited:

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What exactly are you going to use it for? The eye bolts with the chain will rip out with use . Since there is no support for these 2 squeeze head hold boards any sheep will break them by simply jumping around ... You definately will need 2 top and side boards so that those 2 sqeeze head hold boards would be between them and at least 3 holes drilled for each one of them so that you can put in bolt ( no nut, simply place it through the wanted hole to hold in place while being used). :hu

Last edited:

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't have common sheep that are wild, huge and will break through stuff.
I have tiny, docile mini sheep. They shouldn't be able to break 2x4s even if they fell onto it.
It's just to hold them still while I give vaccines, trim hooves and such. I usually just push them against a wall or roll them, but sometimes I feel too old to be able to do that through all 10 sheep(and growing).

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Is there a chute leading up to the headgate? How will you get the sheep to move out of the headgate so you can work on the next one?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'll be mounting this on a narrow and long hall I'll be making out of pallets. There will be a round catch pen and then the tapering hallway to this head gate.

Either make a swinging door on the side or make it a swinging door itself.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like the color of your door... but I wouldn't bother painting it though...unless you just want to. Our milk stanchion is wood and it gets alot of use... made of wood too paint would be off in a week LOL
Looking forward to seeing how you set it up.:)

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not my door, it's the door of the people who made the headgate.
:)

It will be used just 1-2 times a year and just 10 sheep right now. So paint shouldn't come off all that easily. I might just use our dark stain and then seal it.

I'll be cutting the bottom ends of the headgate. It will drop the height about 5 inches and then it should be ~just~ the right height.

It feels very sturdy.
hg.jpg

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Trimmed those pesky 4.5in stumps! The actual wood that holds the neck is a bit too tall, but I'll remember that for the next one. As it is now, I believe they should be able to be held by it comfortably.
I'll test it out, with a picture, on a slightly warmer day!

20150111_200003-1.jpg

WantonWoodsman

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I love your headgate and would love to know if it holds up. I gave vaccines and deworming liquid late yesterday afternoon and I don't know if its the size of the sheep or my age that leaves me feeling as if I wrestled a freight train.
I started assembly on a chute some months ago but have no idea as to how I should go about on making the headgate. My ewes weigh in @ 176.37 pounds and my ram @ roughly 264.555 pounds.

Would you all be so kind as to provide me with some ideas if I post a pic?

Latest posts