New Herd member introductions

blissful74

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello! this is my first post ;)
We are assembling our first nigerian dwarf goat herd. Temporarily, our space is very, very limited, so I'm wondering how this should go down. We have two just-less-than-yearlings (cousins) coming in the next few days. They have lived together all their lives. Our garage will be housing them temporarily, until we get our goat barn done (within a few weeks, hopefully). In about 2 1/2 weeks, we'll be welcoming a first freshener and (again, hopefully), her doeling and a buckling/wether....they are due any day now. IF we don't have our new goat barn ready by the time Mama and babies come, is it going to be a big problem putting them all together in the garage?? The only other option would be once the Mama and babies arrive, putting up the two yearlings in a tarped horse trailer until the barn is finished.....? Whats been your experiences with this type of situation? Best case scenario, everyone just gets along, but I want to be prepared for discord, I guess. Thanks!

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH! :welcome
Sorry I don't have much experience with goats!
I'm sure other people will help with that! Just wanted to say welcome :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. It sounds to me that you are acquiring goats in proper BYH fashion. Get the animals first, before you are prepared for them. LOL LOL If you have to separate the yearlings from mom and babies, living in the trailer for a time will not harm them. The only thing to really worry about would be if they got too hot, but this time of year and your location, that is probably nothing to worry about. Closed up in the garage or any closed up building, can lead to ammonia fumes from the urine. Just be aware of that. Your nose is 5' above the garage floor, theirs is much closer and the ammonia can build up quickly without you realizing it.

Animals are more resilient that we give them credit for. They should be fine in the time it takes you to get their barn ready.

blissful74

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. It sounds to me that you are acquiring goats in proper BYH fashion. Get the animals first, before you are prepared for them. LOL LOL If you have to separate the yearlings from mom and babies, living in the trailer for a time will not harm them. The only thing to really worry about would be if they got too hot, but this time of year and your location, that is probably nothing to worry about. Closed up in the garage or any closed up building, can lead to ammonia fumes from the urine. Just be aware of that. Your nose is 5' above the garage floor, theirs is much closer and the ammonia can build up quickly without you realizing it.

Animals are more resilient that we give them credit for. They should be fine in the time it takes you to get their barn ready.

I swear, I had the best preparation intentions! LOL These two just practically fell into our lap and we couldn't resist!
Thank you for the ammonia in the garage tip.. there is a good sized window in there that we can open and I'll be sure to keep up on keeping it clean!
Hopefully, they will all just get along!