New here. Have backyard chickens (4) plus I co-own a rabbitry with 50 or so does and bucks.

bjbunnies

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi, I know this color is not ARBA approved, but I love, love, love my booted black rabbit and would like to breed more like her for my own bunny-honey project. Anyone have suggestions on how to breed that color on purpose? She is an auction bunny supposedly a New Zealand. I'm out in the Seattle area, if that helps. My co-owned rabbitry is at a friend's farm and breeds meat rabbits from New Zealand/Californian's. We have REW, Californians and some broken New Zealands but none are booted blacks. Advice?

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'll bite, what is a booted black? I raise Californians and they have black legs. A picture would be real nice to see what you are trying to replicate.

Welcome to BYH! Glad you found us.

bjbunnies

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
AFAIK, it's a broken black coloration which has less than 10% white. My bun is mostly black but her feet are white, her tummy has white, her chest is white with little black spots. She's really cute. New Zealands with this coloring are disqualified from shows. Not that I'm rushing out to show her. Here's a picture of her.
BunBun.jpg

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. Greatly appreciated.

Your girl is pretty, very unexpected marking. Good luck with your plan to breed more. Please keep us posted on how you are doing!