New here

Red

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I’m new here and live in Alabama. I’ve come to this page many times and learned a lot from this site in the past year and currently have started to build a meat rabbit “operation” for my family and I. Advice/pointers are greatly appreciated and I’m looking forward to hopefully meeting some people working on the same goal as I intend to reach.

Red

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank y’all, I appreciate it.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is good rabbit forum here, I'm sure that you will have lots of support. Are you using hutches or hanging wire cages? What breed/breeds are you raising? Rabbits are good small livestock and a good way to raise your own meat. Glad you joined!

Reactions: Red

Red

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
There is good rabbit forum here, I'm sure that you will have lots of support. Are you using hutches or hanging wire cages? What breed/breeds are you raising? Rabbits are good small livestock and a good way to raise your own meat. Glad you joined!

I found this page probably over a year ago and have had many long but great nights reading posts and replies from people who know what they’re doing. I have only recently gotten my first NZW buck who is in a hanging wire cage. I’m currently waiting on two NZ does from a separate kindle to breed him to.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hanging wire cages are the easiest to keep clean. Rabbits are brilliant, if in a hutch, they will always poop in the corners, making it necessary to clean it daily. Then if you are fortunate enough to have a Genius Member of Bunny MENSA, he will take the opportunity, while you are halfway in the cage scraping poop out of the corner, yes, he will take advantage of you and spray you with pee! :lol:

Red

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hanging wire cages are the easiest to keep clean. Rabbits are brilliant, if in a hutch, they will always poop in the corners, making it necessary to clean it daily. Then if you are fortunate enough to have a Genius Member of Bunny MENSA, he will take the opportunity, while you are halfway in the cage scraping poop out of the corner, yes, he will take advantage of you and spray you with pee! :lol:

before getting into rabbits I had no idea they were capable of this until I saw the wall of the metal building I keep this guy in. He has great aim. although this is my first time with rabbits I do/would prefer the wire hangers with a perforated tarp underneath to easily remove and keep the droppings. Offspring once weaned will be places in to rabbit tractors and moved 1-2 times a day in order to ensure food access and not living in their own filth and keeping every spot they move from, healthy.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had rabbits once upon a time. I built a chicken coop onto the rabbit barn. The chickens scratched under the cages, eating fly larva, dropped feed, and they laid eggs! I cleaned it out when I needed the manure for the garden.