New here

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am raising two bottle lambs now-my first! Two ewes both had triplets the same night. One ewe rejected one of her lambs and the other ewe wanted all 3 of her lambs, but the littlest one was too small and weak. I tied each ewe and put the lambs up to the teats to make sure that they got the colostrum. The ewe that rejected her lamb flat out did not like him, even withheld her milk. To get her to let down the milk, I had to get a lamb she liked to suck on one side while I put the rejected lamb on the other side.

My question is, did you make sure that the lamb got colostrum? If not or if you are not sure, you will have to tie the ewe and either milk her out or put the lamb up to her udder and let him suck. Is he warm, is his mouth warm? Don't feed a cold lamb, they can't digest the milk.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
One seems doing good, but the other we had to take away. Momma was kicking him and shoving him away and not letting him eat
Bummer...

I would be tempted to tie her, hold her still,, and let the lamb nurse.

Here is a great article on grafting a lamb to a ewe... this is written for when you want to move the lamb to a different ewe... but I don't see why it wouldn't also work for a rejected lamb.

The first method it goes over is the slime method... skip that one...

The next method is the stocking or sent grafting method... that should work for you. (Hopefully) :fl

Nothing wrong with bottle feeding... if you are happy doing that... I just always worked hard to avoid it...

And... I used to have goats... but have never had sheep.

Last edited:

Athiena14

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We tied her up to get him some milk, but she is a bit wild so can't do it every time. We just decided to bottle feed it. I got lamb colostrum powder and he's been aucking it down and keeping really active.

Athiena14

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hes doing great this morning

Attachments

• 20210316_110637.jpg
    20210316_110637.jpg
    737.7 KB · Views: 114

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would be nowhere without all the great help and advice I have received here on BYH. I got sheep 6 years ago and I have learned a LOT with the help of everyone here. Glad your pretty little lamb is doing so good.

Latest posts