New here

Jrios

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to backyard herds but have been on backyard chickens for awhile. We have had goats for several years, now adding a couple katahdin/ dorper wethers to the family. I have lots of sheep questions! Like, what's a good brush to use when they are shedding? I've been told they will need shearing but it looks like they are shedding.... strange. Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning from all of you!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH!!!

Sounds like a fun new adventure!

I know very little about sheep...but there are several sheep people on here.

I do hear that sheep are much easier to fence than goats!

Jrios

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH!!!

Sounds like a fun new adventure!

I know very little about sheep...but there are several sheep people on here.

I do hear that sheep are much easier to fence than goats!
Well we should be good then, the goats can't get out. Once in a while we let the dwarf cross goat out, she hangs out real close to the pen.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! We have Katahdin sheep. They love to be brushed. Hair brush, dog brush, or a horse curry comb. What are your wethers names?

Jrios

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! We have Katahdin sheep. They love to be brushed. Hair brush, dog brush, or a horse curry comb. What are your wethers names?
Sundance and Black Bart. (My friend names the ram lambs after western outlaws and the ewes after flowers lol). We don't have Bart yet, actually weren't going to get 2 but we have the room and Sundance will be happierwith his brother. We're thinking if we like sheep, maybe we'll breed them. (Not the wethers, we know better) Not sure i can eat something I've raised though lol!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
For the longest I castrated the boys and named them Dinner. It worked for me. then slaughter dates got so darn hard to get, so I've been taking them to auction.

Home grown lamb is very good. The meat from Katahdin hair sheep is mild, not strong tasting like wool sheep. (Sorry wool sheep people!)

Latest posts