New - in Ontario, Canada - raising rabbits

Vay

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Recently acquired rabbits in the hopes of being able to better support my family in a more sustainable way of living, which is kind of challenging in my area with all the restrictions and bylaws... but I think we make do fairly well, considering we're trying to homestead in a big city....!!

We have a few rabbits - not many, since regulation states we can have 5 over 7 weeks old... so we have 3 does and 2 bucks. Actually, we have 4 bucks - the new zealand / flemish cross bucks are outside in hutches, along with the 3 female flemish, and our other 2 bucks are kept in the garage - I thought they were mini rex when I got them but have since recognized that they seem to be polish rabbits. Oh well.

We bred the does a few weeks ago (on the 18th of October, and again on the 24th of October), but we think 2 are having phantom pregnancies and only one might be actually pregnant... so we're planning on re-breeding them all this weekend.

Nice to find a place to discuss with like-minded folks - not much of this type of lifestyle in my neck of the woods...err...city!

V

LlamaGirl4

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Recently acquired rabbits in the hopes of being able to better support my family in a more sustainable way of living, which is kind of challenging in my area with all the restrictions and bylaws... but I think we make do fairly well, considering we're trying to homestead in a big city....!!

We have a few rabbits - not many, since regulation states we can have 5 over 7 weeks old... so we have 3 does and 2 bucks. Actually, we have 4 bucks - the new zealand / flemish cross bucks are outside in hutches, along with the 3 female flemish, and our other 2 bucks are kept in the garage - I thought they were mini rex when I got them but have since recognized that they seem to be polish rabbits. Oh well.

We bred the does a few weeks ago (on the 18th of October, and again on the 24th of October), but we think 2 are having phantom pregnancies and only one might be actually pregnant... so we're planning on re-breeding them all this weekend.

Nice to find a place to discuss with like-minded folks - not much of this type of lifestyle in my neck of the woods...err...city!

V
:frow Hi welcome!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH from NE TX! So glad you joined us. There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me :clap will never remember from this post & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

Latest posts