New kid on the block!! Tips/Advice for a new mom?

samandemsmommy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am totally new here- and to goats in general. I'm worse than Jon Snow- I KNOW NOTHING. We will be bringing home a sweet little Nigerian Dwarf wether next weekend. He was born 5/7. What are things I need to know? I have tried to read read read the past three days and it just makes me have more questions. What are meds I should have on hand for any "JUST IN CASE" situations...any and all tips, tricks, advice is greatly appreciated. I want to be prepared so I can be the best goat mom! :)
goat.jpg

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH! Congrats on your soon to had new addition to your family! If that's him in the picture, he's a real cutie! At only 3 weeks old, he will still need to be bottle fed, that's too young to ween. Get some of the product (formula/goat milk/whatever) that the breeder is using, from the breeder, when you bring him home so you can gradually swap him over to what you'll be using. Most will say/agree that just (warmed obviously) whole milk from the store will/should be adequate.

Here's a great place to start... start, not finish... http://www.backyardherds.com/resources/so-you-bought-a-baby-goat-now-what.59/

What SheepGirl said is also true... if you can, get him a buddy, he'll do much better. Yes, some will say they've raised single goats with no issues, but they ARE herd animals, and they really do need another of their own species to interact with. They virtually always do better as a pair or more vs as a single. Besides, goat math will hit you sooner or later and you'll be adding more then anyways. Why not start sooner rather than later? ;)

Continue to read as there's a wealth of information and shared experiences here in the various threads. If you don't understand or are not sure, ASK! We have a lot of really great goatie folks here on the site that always jump in to help those with problems/issues/questions. You'll have them too. Don't be afraid to ask! Glad you joined us!

Oh, there are also a number of other threads just like this one, started by complete newbies. You should read some of those as you'll get answers to the most common questions.

http://www.backyardherds.com/threads/bottle-babies-and-preparation-what-to-know.32500/#post-413292 just one example.

Last edited:

samandemsmommy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Get him a buddy! He will be lonely without one.
We definitely will be getting a buddy! I know he needs one. The lady I am getting him from is supposed to have more born very soon and we will plan to get one of those unless I find one sooner than that. Until then he will have two dogs and lots of chickens and us.

samandemsmommy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH! Congrats on your soon to had new addition to your family! If that's him in the picture, he's a real cutie! At only 3 weeks old, he will still need to be bottle fed, that's too young to ween. Get some of the product (formula/goat milk/whatever) that the breeder is using, from the breeder, when you bring him home so you can gradually swap him over to what you'll be using. Most will say/agree that just (warmed obviously) whole milk from the store will/should be adequate.

Here's a great place to start... start, not finish... http://www.backyardherds.com/resources/so-you-bought-a-baby-goat-now-what.59/

What SheepGirl said is also true... if you can, get him a buddy, he'll do much better. Yes, some will say they've raised single goats with no issues, but they ARE herd animals, and they really do need another of their own species to interact with. They virtually always do better as a pair or more vs as a single. Besides, goat math will hit you sooner or later and you'll be adding more then anyways. Why not start sooner rather than later? ;)

Continue to read as there's a wealth of information and shared experiences here in the various threads. If you don't understand or are not sure, ASK! We have a lot of really great goatie folks here on the site that always jump in to help those with problems/issues/questions. You'll have them too. Don't be afraid to ask! Glad you joined us!

Oh, there are also a number of other threads just like this one, started by complete newbies. You should read some of those as you'll get answers to the most common questions.

http://www.backyardherds.com/threads/bottle-babies-and-preparation-what-to-know.32500/#post-413292 just one example.
Thanks so much for your reply! We are definitely planning on getting a buddy-- still looking! LAdy we got him from is supposed to have more born very soon- so we will get one unless I find another kid sooner than that. Yes, I do plan to bottle feed him- when I get him he will be 4 weeks, so I assume I need to give him a bottle until about 8 weeks? I had planned on using a whole milk/buttermilk/evap milk combination formula- I have seen others using that and I think that is the route I will go. I am unsure what to do with him during the day--- do I just leave him outside to play? I am scared he will jump out and leave. LOL--- we have a 6 foot privacy fence on the side and back of our yard and the other side is about 4 foot fencing- I am hoping that would be ok- all is totally fenced. I think I need to make sure there is nothing near the fence that he could jump on and over the fence though. Thank you for including the links for me! Yes, that his him in the picture. We've named him Daryl (daryl dixon of course LOL)...

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
LOL... of course ;) (didn't know he even had a last name) young kids run and jump a LOT, but I don't think he'll be able to clear (from the ground) a 4' fence just yet, but yes, DO move anything he could use as a launching platform to get over the fence.

Just a sincere caution to you... the #1 killer of young livestock is dogs... family PETS! Even the livestock owners own dog(s). Please be aware and prepared. Your new goat will look like a wonderful play toy and though they can take a lot, even a small dog can kill your goat with little effort.Though your goat will not, at least initially, be able to jump out, do you have neighbors' or stray dogs around that could jump/get in? Your new goat(s) will need an enclosed, secure, protected, lockable place to spend nights. They'll also need a place to get out of rain as if they get rained on, they melt ;)

Good luck and share some pics when you finally bring them home!

samandemsmommy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
LOL... of course ;) (didn't know he even had a last name) young kids run and jump a LOT, but I don't think he'll be able to clear (from the ground) a 4' fence just yet, but yes, DO move anything he could use as a launching platform to get over the fence.

Just a sincere caution to you... the #1 killer of young livestock is dogs... family PETS! Even the livestock owners own dog(s). Please be aware and prepared. Your new goat will look like a wonderful play toy and though they can take a lot, even a small dog can kill your goat with little effort.Though your goat will not, at least initially, be able to jump out, do you have neighbors' or stray dogs around that could jump/get in? Your new goat(s) will need an enclosed, secure, protected, lockable place to spend nights. They'll also need a place to get out of rain as if they get rained on, they melt ;)

Good luck and share some pics when you finally bring them home!
Luckily no we have never had any dogs be able to get in our yard. I am hoping that our family dog will be fine with him - he does not bother our chickens and he is out with them during the day. We just got a LGD 8 weeks old- mom and dad are both working around goats- so we hope to introduce them and hope all goes well, but I really do not want to leave everyone together during the day while I am not at home for the first few weeks at least. on the side of my chicken coop is a little covered porch area so when it would rain, he would be able to go under. I am still working on housing for him! Not quite sure yet where to keep him unless I just turn that covered area into a little shelter for him.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do not leave the LGD pup with the baby goat until you are absolutely certain he won't chase him. And that could be months down the road. These dogs are still puppies and puppies play and they will play with the goat. They may not mean to hurt him, but they can and often do. I have a 5 month old LGD pup right now and she absolutely cannot be with the livestock without me. I would leave her with my adult Alpines but not with kids, and especially not a nigi.

On another note, you could put him in a dog kennel during the day when you are gone, safe and sound.

If he is on a bottle right now find out what the owner is using and feed that, or at least transition him slowly. I use whole milk from the store if I don't have goat's milk. I don't add anything to it, just milk. If he isn't on a bottle then the transition will be rough at 4 weeks and hopefully the breeder will tackle that job for you.

Since he is a wether, go easy on the grain; it can cause urinary calculi which can kill them.

Oh, and welcome to BYH from California

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
This little guy is way to young to be wethered.

His urethra is not developed well enough and it will set him up for Urinary Calculi.

He also will need a bottle- he should not be weaned til 8 weeks. Occasionally a very robust large boy can be weaned at 6 weeks.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Oh... another thought just came to mind... keep him away from chicken feed! goats LOVE chicken feed and it can kill him from bloat!