New kid on the block!! Tips/Advice for a new mom?

samandemsmommy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Do not leave the LGD pup with the baby goat until you are absolutely certain he won't chase him. And that could be months down the road. These dogs are still puppies and puppies play and they will play with the goat. They may not mean to hurt him, but they can and often do. I have a 5 month old LGD pup right now and she absolutely cannot be with the livestock without me. I would leave her with my adult Alpines but not with kids, and especially not a nigi.

On another note, you could put him in a dog kennel during the day when you are gone, safe and sound.

If he is on a bottle right now find out what the owner is using and feed that, or at least transition him slowly. I use whole milk from the store if I don't have goat's milk. I don't add anything to it, just milk. If he isn't on a bottle then the transition will be rough at 4 weeks and hopefully the breeder will tackle that job for you.

Since he is a wether, go easy on the grain; it can cause urinary calculi which can kill them.

Oh, and welcome to BYH from California
Ok, I will make sure to keep him away from the puppy until we have more training with him (the puppy). I believe he is drinking mom's milk- so when I get him, how do I transition him to drinking what I will be giving him?

samandemsmommy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Oh... another thought just came to mind... keep him away from chicken feed! goats LOVE chicken feed and it can kill him from bloat!
Yes, I read that! I will be taking feed out of my coops and putting it back in at night when I lock my coop up and then taking it out in the mornings because they free range during the day.

samandemsmommy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
This little guy is way to young to be wethered.

His urethra is not developed well enough and it will set him up for Urinary Calculi.

He also will need a bottle- he should not be weaned til 8 weeks. Occasionally a very robust large boy can be weaned at 6 weeks.
I will ask the person if I can just band him myself at 8 weeks. It can't be that hard--- can it???

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Maybe hubby will let you practice on him? :hide:lol::gig

samandemsmommy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
What is the BEST diet to feed my little guy? I want to make sure I am feeding him just what I should so that he stays healthy. I know for 4 more weeks (until 8 wks) I will be feeding him milk. After that- what should I feed him and how much each day to ensure he stays healthy?

samandemsmommy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
What loose minerals do I need to have out to offer as free choice?

samandemsmommy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
MANNA PRO GOAT MINERAL SUPPLEMENT - is what we use.
Do I just leave that out as free choice all the time? What about baking soda? I have read something about baking soda also.