New kid on the block!! Tips/Advice for a new mom?

MrsKuhn

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Do I just leave that out as free choice all the time? What about baking soda? I have read something about baking soda also.

Yes leave it out free choice they will eat it when they need it. As for the Baking Soda it is just a personal preference thing. I have read that some don't and have never had problems and some do. There is no scientific research that I have been able to find to back the reasoning that they are given it ( it is supposed to balance out their Rumen so that they don't bloat, like TUMs for humans when we get heart burn ) but free choice is what most do.

We have a container that has two sections and one side it has minerals and on the other it has baking soda. Although a few things I have read said not to give baking soda to a wether because it will counteract the AC in their minerals. So that one I think I will let a seasoned goat pro answer for you and maybe I will learn something too :)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
NO, do not leave out baking soda for a wether.
Your wether needs ammonium chloride which is in the Manno Pro Minerals. Baking soda will render the ammonium chloride useless.

First, please consider cutting and not banding. It is 15 seconds and you are done- not a week where rotting flesh is in a sac. I know banding is popular but it is awful. And yes, everyone will jump on now and say how it isn't. I guess I see it as if I had a cancerous growth on my finger would I want it cut and it iss over or would I want a band to be put on it and wait 7-10 days til if falls off and deal with the first hours of pain, then the oxygen deprivation and then the slow rot? I'll take the cut anyday. ;) But some think it is easier so they band. To each his own.

Wait if you can closer to 12 weeks if possible. Do not overgrain. Small amounts are fine. You need to make sure the Calcium / Phosphorus ratio is at least 2:1 in the feed. Free choice hay is good. Alfalfa isn't necessary but is good. It is NOT the calcium that causes UC.

Here is a good article on Urinary Calculi. It is preventable-

http://www.ansc.purdue.edu/SP/MG/Documents/SLIDES/Urinary calculi.pdf

Oh and BTW- Welcome ! :frow We are in NC as well!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
The most important aspect of the minerals is that they are for goats specifically, not sheep, cattle, or generic. Goats need copper, sheep don't. Selenium is another important mineral for all of them.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome and congrats on the goat you're getting! I just wanted to add, if he'll be in your backyard, check all the plants you have - some are toxic to goats and sheep, for some even a mouthful can be fatal. Rhododendren, azalea and yew are three of the worst, you can also google 'toxic plants goats' or the same phrase with your state added for more specific info.

Latest posts