New kid Question

nora

Just born
Reaction score
Hello to all I'm new to goats. I have my first baby goat around 4 1/2 month now
she did not gain any weight. She looks very small as the day she was born.She was weaned around 2 month

What I'm doing wrong
Thank's

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @nora and welcome to BYH. If you've had the goat for 4 1/2 months and it hasn't grown, you have either not fed it enough or have fed very poor quality food, or the kid has some sort of genetic problem. Have you talked to the person you bought the goat from? Have you taken the goat to a vet (that KNOWS goats) for evaluation? Have you asked for help from anyone nearby that has goats? What breed is the goat? What are you feeding it, in what quantity, and how often? Goats are herd animals... do you have a companion goat for her? Could you take some pictures and post them so we can see what you're seeing? I'll tag some folks who will probably have more questions for you.

@Goat Whisperer @Southern by choice @babsbag @frustratedearthmother @ragdollcatlady @OneFineAcre

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Latestarter asked the relevant questions so looking forward to your answers. My biggest concern would be a G-6-S genetic defect if the kid is a Nubian.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Greetings @nora and welcome to BYH. If you've had the goat for 4 1/2 months and it hasn't grown, you have either not fed it enough or have fed very poor quality food, or the kid has some sort of genetic problem. Have you talked to the person you bought the goat from? Have you taken the goat to a vet (that KNOWS goats) for evaluation? Have you asked for help from anyone nearby that has goats? What breed is the goat? What are you feeding it, in what quantity, and how often? Goats are herd animals... do you have a companion goat for her? Could you take some pictures and post them so we can see what you're seeing? I'll tag some folks who will probably have more questions for you.

@Goat Whisperer @Southern by choice @babsbag @frustratedearthmother @ragdollcatlady @OneFineAcre

x2

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
X3 on what @Latestarter and @babsbag mentioned.

Has a fecal been run to determine if the goat has parasites or coccidia? Both are capable of stunting growth no matter how much or how good the feed quality might be. There's certainly something going on if the doeling has had no growth. Time to get a good evaluation from a good veterinarian.

Good luck, hope you get some answers!

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
My first thought was also coccidia, giardia, parasites, wasting diseases... Even with poor genetics, you should have some growth. If you can give us more info perhaps we can help direct more info your way. I would absolutely have a vet involved at this point. Blood tests, fecal tests and an evaluation of her feeding routine and mineral options etc, should all be considered.

Hope that helps some.

nora

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the quick response. She is a bore goat and hay and grain are available to her 24/7. I have not tested her yet. I got a second goat to keep her company, and yes I do need a vet who knows goat well. Photo of the goat is attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20160309_163835.jpg
    IMG_20160309_163835.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The picture makes her look much larger. Are you sure she is 12 lbs.
Our 4 week old Nigerians weigh more than that.

How tall is she?