The Curly girl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So. My hubby and I got a St. Croix lamb 2 weeks ago. He was only 7 hr old. The reason we did was his mom did not accept him, and wouldn't let him eat. The farmer told my husband and I he wouldn't have time to bottle feed him... So we took the lamb. My husband and I live in a pretty big ranch but don't plan on having a herd of sheep or anything like it...so we took this baby lamb and decided to have him in the house, especially now that he is being bottle fed. We have had him with 2 diapers... One on the rear for poop and one on top for the pee.
We have been giving him replacement milk. The first formula we gave him was giving him scours, so we changed him... It has totally helped. He is having firmer poopy *yay*
We plan on castrating him either next week or the next.
I have been reading on the site that he should have a sheep or goat companion ... Obviously makes sense.... But will he still be friendly if he is put outside? He doesn't seem to like me leaving him hahhaha. . seriously! He trows a crying fit! We have a little pin we put him in outside when the weather is nice...but he gets maaaad.
Will him being castrated make him not get aggressive?
Does anyone have experience with St.Croix sheep?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Was looking at your other thread...
a few things....

as cute as baby lambs are yes, he needs to go outside
Sheep are grazers, he will not be on the bottle forever and needs grass to eat. Being a ruminant he MUST have grass/hay ... sheep feed is not even necessary but you can give as a treat.
He will need sheep minerals.

Absolutely castrate him!
A ram is dangerous!
A wether is usually more docile but they are still livestock and sheep are usually a bit more "hands off" than some other livestock.

I would get a buddy for him but get a sheep not a goat.
Goats and sheep have different requirements. Goats are not grazers but browsers and they need different minerals. Goats must have copper... Copper kills sheep.

Hopefully this little guy was given his dam's colostrum.
He will need a CD&T shot as well.

Look for a livestock vet not a pet vet.

Congrats and welcome to BYH!:)

The Curly girl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you very much! I appreciate your help. I was thinking of taking him outside...just thought he could sleep in the house hahaha... But I have one more concern...predators...how do you keep those away?!

I have a vet near by who is livestock vet. He is awesome...we will be taking Dingo there.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
He can sleep in the house for now. ;)
We pull and bottle feed our baby goats they stay in a playpen.

As far as predators... you would be best to make a pen for him for now with a shelter.

We have Livestock Guardian dogs and for 1 lamb you wouldn't want that...

Depends on your set up and land as far as predator issues.

The Curly girl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well I live in a 360 acre ranch... Our house is surrounded by woods/nature... Filled with deer and wild animals.... I'm not very sure exactly what is out there ...especially at night...buy I've heart coyotes howling. It freaked me out to think he could be a midnight treat hahahaha... I guess I'll have to see w my hubs what we will do...but I truly appreciate all your tips...i need to hear all this so I can explain to him. Be has never had sheep hahaha.

The Curly girl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This is a good idea. I truly appreciate your help. I hope I'm not coming off as difficult... I'm just really trying to understand and have no history with anything other than dogs and cats. I appreciate it. ;)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Treat your sheep kinda like you treat your chickens... they need to be inside a shelter/barn at night where coyotes can't get to him. He needs an area fenced off with 5' high fencing (coyotes can jump 4' straight up) and it would be best if you had hot wire at the top as well to keep out what doesn't belong in and keep in what doesn't belong out. most also run hot wire down near the ground to keep out diggers. You can always fence off a smaller area (a dry lot) to keep him in most of the time, and then let him out to graze the lawn when you're there to supervise.

Southern was typing at the same time I was.

The Curly girl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This is very good information! Thank you so much... I don't have chickens hahaha...
Thing is...I am new to this ranch life... I live in my hubby's ranch...he was born and raised here... But they don't do much farming especially now. Just with the cows... But I have been here only 1 yr 8 months, so it is all new to me. I only know about pets.. I guess that is why I feel this way...I'm not used to seeing animals as livestock... Because I've never had anythibg but dogs and cats hahaha I appreciate everyone!

Latest posts