New LGD puppy. :D

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She was born at the end of October, so she's about 4-1/2 months old at this point. Probably weighs around 50lbs or thereabout. She's 75% Great Pyrenees, 25% Sarplaninac.

745_niko.jpg

She doesn't have an official name yet.. We thought she was going to be Natasha, but three-syllable dog names can be a PITA...and we already have a Sasha, so Tasha might be weird. We considered Niko or Nico, too, but it seems to be mostly a boy name. I dunno...she'll get a name eventually. :gig

Her temperament, so far, is different from Ivan. When we set her out in the barnyard, she reacted to the goats like our housedogs react to us when we come home after being away for a while. Ran right over to them, tail wagging, submissive, whining and crying...very, very excited to see her 'friends.'

They, of course, had a much different reaction. :p They're used to Ivan, who more or less ignores them, so a dog running at them under full steam, making squealie noises, was a bit of a departure to say the least. As such, they split the herd and left her standing. :hit They really wanted nothing to do with her at all..

They stayed out of the barn most of the night, and she laid as close to them as she could get without spooking them. When it started sprinkling, they finally headed to the barn.. She knew if she got too close, they'd freak, so she laid out in the weather all night with her head turned toward the door of the barn.

I went down and finally carried her into the barn, just so she'd know it was OK to be in there. The goats hung around like I knew they would, rather than go out in the rain.. She laid down in front of the stall where their hayfeeder is, and I saw them come to her sorta one by one, investigating.. Each time, she'd wiggle all over and get really super submissive.

When we went down to feed last night, she gobbled her food down and came right back to lay in the barn near the hayfeeder. When we walked back to the house, she followed along whining the whole time. About the time my wife said "I hope she goes back to the barn," she stopped following. When we got to the gate, I said "As soon as we get out of sight, I'm sure she'll go back."

Well...it didn't even take that. As soon as we opened the gate and she saw we were leaving, she turned and sprinted straight back to the barn to be with the goats.

Here's the coolest thing.. The night we got her home, when we went out to feed, one of our border collies was out sniffing around outside the fenceline of the barnyard. We were both in the barn and all of a sudden we hear our GSD barking really loudly, and really closely. She was supposed to be in the house...how'd she get out?

I poked my head out and, lo and behold, it wasn't the GSD barking -- it was the pup! To see such a big noise coming out of such a little body....well, it didn't even look right. She was barking and growling at the BC, but unlike Ivan, she didn't charge the fenceline....she hung back, glancing continually toward the barn.

We're hoping that this one will hang right in with the goats 24/7.. If she does, then we'll have a big, tough boy who's pre-wired to immediately charge a threat, and pretty tough gal who's pre-wired to stay right in with the herd...totaling probably 300lbs of dog.

I don't care what kind of predator you are...that's a formidable combination.

BTW...you might notice that her left eye is a little puffy. Dunno what happened, but she was like that the morning after we got her home. It looked to have gone down a little last night, but I didn't get to check her this morning. Need to grab a few things from the vet's office soon anyway, so I might pick up some antibiotic eye goop.

One more thing...and forgive me, but.....isn't she just absolutely ADORABLE?!?!? :love

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
But...but....you don't LIKE pyrenees....

*runs away*

(Said all in good fun, pal :p )

eta, she IS gorgeous, congrats!

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
But...but....you don't LIKE pyrenees....

*runs away*

(Said all in good fun, pal :p )

eta, she IS gorgeous, congrats!
Where's a :eatingmywords emoticon when you need one?

Perhaps what I should have said all along was that anytime you get a dog breed that's being taken from the barnyard to the living room, you're gonna get degradation in working temperament.

That gets hairy when the living room variety is bred to the working variety, and sold under the guise of working stock.

This pup's daddy is a crackerjack, though. Beautiful dog, truly.. You could look at him and tell he's not your average $40 Craigslist "Pryanees" that so many people seem to get in trouble with....the ones that lead to "FTGH: Grate Pryanes. Has kilt goats" Craigslist ads.

He growled and barked at me when I approached the fence, whereas this dog's mama was all about getting her head scratched.. She works, but she's been handled a lot as a dam. The owner said "She won't bite. Him, I dunno." Owner also told me over the phone "he can be a little mean."

Well, phffft.

Once he saw me petting the pup's mama, he came over and sniffed my hand to investigate. I'm so used to Ivan and watching him work that I know when one's angry/fearful/confident enough to bite, and this dog certainly wasn't.

I took him right under the chin with my hand and he went stone still. :lol:

I scratched his chin and he was like "Hey, this guy's not so bad!" so then I scratched the top of his head. After that, he was looking for attention just like the dam.

:lol: :gig

That said, I'm glad to have Ivan around... This little gal is just super sweet so far, to the point that I'm pretty sure she'd let someone steal her. :gig She's pretty submissive to people, as well as to goats. I don't find it to be lesser than Ivan's temperament, mind you...just totally different, but equally as impressive. She seems to be just a different kind of dog so far, which is perfectly OK.

She did bark her little head off when the border collie came snooping along the fenceline after dark, though. Definitely a good sign.. The goats responded to her bark by running out of the barn and huddling up, too, which I thought was super cool. They're used to hearing Ivan's angry bark, and hers sounds enough like his that they've already had all their training on it.

:)

We think the two should make a really good duo. One to range about and run offense, one to stay in close with the goats and run defense.

:thumbsup

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I've found our female pyr stays back and watches the goats while Razor (RIP, buddy) used to charge the fence and 'attack'...maybe that's not so much a breed thing but a sex / temperament thing...?

Mebbers if you breed the two in a few years, I'll want a pup...they'd make pretty ones! (Not to mention great LGD's).

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
I've found our female pyr stays back and watches the goats while Razor (RIP, buddy) used to charge the fence and 'attack'...maybe that's not so much a breed thing but a sex / temperament thing...?

Mebbers if you breed the two in a few years, I'll want a pup...they'd make pretty ones! (Not to mention great LGD's).
Consider yours reserved, if you want it. :D

And, you may be right.. Maybe it's the temperament of the individual dog, and perhaps sex has something to do with it. I'm sure it does, in fact.

Personally...and lots of folks object to this, but...I tend to think the bigger the "deep down fraidy cat" the dog is, the more quickly and aggressively it will respond. That's because I think it's a fear-aggressive response.. Or, at least, a modified fear aggression.. Could call it "threat aggressive" or whatever.. The bigger the perceived threat, the bigger the response.

I say that feeling like, deep down, Ivan -- for all his formidable capability and awesome LGD qualities -- acts the way he does only because he's scared to death something's gonna come git'im one night.

:lol: :gig

As such, he can be a bit of an 'over-reactor,' which frankly is what I want in a LGD.

mordarlar

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I was just running a Google search on the cross to show DH and found your lovely girl. If and when, we're definitely interested : )

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Beautiful dog!

Funny thing though...if you put horns on her, she'd look just like my buck Speedy! :lol:

He's a pygmy and has the exact same coloring right down to the black face!

Latest posts