New Livestock Med Laws!!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't forget everyone the new Livestock med laws go into effect on 1/1/2017...this includes things such as Di-methox oral solution...so stock up if you use this a lot and dont want to have to get a script every time you need it.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can honestly say that I have never added an antibiotic to my goats or chickens feed or water so I am not too worried about this round. In CA when the antibiotic laws go into affect in Jan 2018 it will be an entirely different story for me. I would bet that the FDA pulls OTC antibiotics in the not to distant future.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was mostly thinking of anyone that uses Di-methox oral for treating cocci since that is off label and under the new 2017 laws the vets are being greatly discouraged from recommending off label use for the VFD meds.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I used to use Di-Methox I used the injectable given orally. As crazy as it sounds you should still be able to buy that OTC but not the powdered to mix with water. All I can say is "whatever". :p

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't forget everyone the new Livestock med laws go into effect on 1/1/2017...this includes things such as Di-methox oral solution...so stock up if you use this a lot and dont want to have to get a script every time you need it.
Why reccommend people 'stock up" since the rules are very explicit?
Not only will it be illegal to buy it without prescription from a licensed vet, it will also be illegal to USE it without said prescription, regardless of when you purchased it. You can't stock up and still be in compliance.

2. Can I stock up in December and feed after Jan 1st?

There is nothing to prevent you from buying a large amount of a VFD medicated product in December. However, in order to legally feed or use that product after Jan 1st, you will need to have a valid VFD on file at home and with your veterinarian.

I was mostly thinking of anyone that uses Di-methox oral for treating cocci since that is off label and under the new 2017 laws the vets are being greatly discouraged from recommending off label use for the VFD meds.
Greatly discouraged?
Hardly descriptive enough--they can lose their license for recommending any off label use of many drugs, probably including the one in question and it will only get worse after the new rules go in to effect. There are already a number of feeds that have previously carried a label claiming some therapeutic value that simply will not be available after the new year.

Babsbag:
How to you accommodate the differences in the injectable and the oral formulations?
Oral:
12.5% Concentrated Solution for Use in Drinking Water
Antibacterial

ANADA 200-030, Approved by FDA
EACH FLUID OUNCE CONTAINS 3.75g SULFADIMETHOXINE SOLUBILIZED WITH SODIUM HYDROXIDE

Injectable:

INJECTION - 40%)
Antibacterial

ANADA 200-177, Approved by FDA

Each mL contains 400 mg sulfadimethoxine compounded with 20% propylene glycol, 1% benzyl alcohol (preservative), 0.1 mg disodium edetate, 1 mg sodium formaldehyde sulfoxylate, and pH adjusted with sodium hydroxide.

As you stated..it will not be surprising to learn one day that FDA will pull all OTC sales of human use antibiotics. They will be watching to see how effective VFD works, and how many people adhere to both the spirit and letter of the law, and if they are not satisfied, they will go the next level.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@greybeard I have never used DiMethox that goes in the water and the dosage I use for the injectable is from my vet. When the water mixed stuff is used how in the world does a person know how much the animal is getting unless they are being drenched? And if I have to drench them I would rather do 1 or 2 cc than 5 or 6cc.

This is what FARAD says about DiMethox.
  • SULFONAMIDE–CLASS ANTIBIOTICS
    – ELDU of all sulfonamides and potentiated sulfonamides is prohibited in adult lactating dairy cattle or dairy cattle
    greater than 20 months of age.
    – only labeled uses of approved sulfonamides are allowed.
    – ELDU of sulfonamides in milking sheep and goats is discouraged but not prohibited.
The label on the 12.5% liquid says that it can be used for cocci so it shouldn't be a problem; a vet should be able to give the producer a VFD for its purchase.

However, this is what the label on the injectable says that it is to be used for. So there would be no ELDU for the injectable for cocci. But right now you can still buy it and use it.

For the treatment of bovine respiratory disease complex (shipping fever complex) and bacterial pneumonia associated with Pasteurella spp sensitive to sulfadimethoxine; necrotic pododermatitis (foot rot) and calf diphtheria caused by Fusobacterium necrophorum (Sphaerophorus necrophorus), sensitive to sulfadimethoxine.

It is all confusing to be sure. I thought that CA was pulling all OTC antibiotics in Jan 2017 but it will be Jan 2018. All I can say about any of it is to get a relationship with a good vet that will hopefully work with you and not just see $$$. The vet has to have seen the animal or the HERD but it doesn't state how frequently that visit has to happen. But there does need to be knowledge of your operation and your animals. Unfortunately it will most likely get expensive for the person that owns a few animals to get treatment and if your vet is not familiar with what drugs can be used for what disease and on what animals then they will have to do the research and they will have to want to do the research. I know of one vet that is retiring due to the VFD and another that will no longer see large animals.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
The antibiotic we use mostly Excenel we get from our vet already
It's not available over the counter

For coccidia we use Toltrazuril which isn't FDA approved at all

Last edited: