New Livestock Med Laws!!

casportpony

True BYH Addict
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I suspect at some point, the FDA or state agencies will be cracking down on the sale of Rx drugs on eBay/craigslist type places, just as they are beginning to do in regards to internet suppliers that sell restricted herbicides without verifying the buyer has an applicator's license.
History has shown too, that in any situation, if a black/grey market demand is there, there will always be a black/grey market seller to meet said demand.
History has also shown, that the more people there are willing to participate in that activity, the more stringent the laws and rules will become.
Baytril has always been a prescription drug, and it's been banned for use in poultry for many years I think, but places like Hawkes seem to fly under the radar.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The only food animal that Baytril can be used in is cattle and swine, no extra label use allowed.

casportpony

True BYH Addict
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Why on earth are they using Baytril for poultry?
Many people do use it in poultry. Hawkes does have this disclaimer "Do not use in poultry that are producing eggs or meat for comsumption!"

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
That says more about the people that are using it extra label than it does about the vendor that sold it.
From what I gather, all the retailer has to do to remain FDA/VDF compliant is to inform the FDA that they are selling the products. The onus is upon the end user to follow the laws and rules of the land.

casportpony

True BYH Addict
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So I am one of those that uses drugs that are banned, and I also use drugs "extra label" when treating my Peafowl and pet turkeys, and I do it with my vet's blessing, but anything that might be sold for meat doesn't get treated with the banned drugs, period.

casportpony

True BYH Addict
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Why on earth are they using Baytril for poultry?
Because it's the only drug that is likely to treat many E. coli, pseudomonas aeruginosa, and the various respiratory diseases.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
As long as you're doing it with a vet's OK, I guess that makes it OK... Just have to observe the withdrawal periods. :idunno

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually Baytril is not allowed extra label use in any food producing animal. Vet or no vet. It is listed for use in non-lactating cattle and in swine.

I am not saying what is right or wrong, only what is legally allowed. Your vet could lose their license over this. I also can't say that I wouldn't do the same as I trust myself to be responsible.