New llama Owner, wondering about gelding an older male

cuteincamo

Just born
Reaction score
I recently purchased my first llama, after much time and research I decided it was finally time to find one. So I did, from an older lady who was attempting to liquidate her farm. RJ is four years old and is uncastrated... I have no need for him to be intact and know he would probably be a whole lot happier as a gelding. So my question is what are the risks of gelding an older male? RJ has never been around females, the previous owner bought him when he was a yearling and only had one other gelding kept in a separate pasture, who Rj never interacted with. He isn't mean, and has never offered to spit; he is very gentle with me and loves to be loved on. I haven't seen behavioral issues yet, but I'd still like to get him gelded.

And RJ has never been kept with other llama's, I'd like to eventually add another to our herd. I own horses so I understand the slow introduction, but what kind of responses should I expect, or is it just a bad idea all around? He seems content to be a loner; he is highly interested in our donkey and the horses, but doesn't seem over excited to be with them, just aware they are there also. Any help or guidance I would greatly appreciate!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Gelding shouldn't be a problem. Llamas are herd animals so I don't see a problem adding another one. It will just depend on the individual llamas. Good luck!

Latest posts