New Mare, one less problem

MaggieSims

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
is there anything i can do for her feet being tender, or is this something that will just have to pass? i can't imagine how long her feet must have been, 2 years is a long time for no trims, her legs, joints, everything must have been so tender. poor girl.

We've named her Ella. Apparently her name was Yolo, you only live once? im too old for that :/ so i went for yeller, you know like an old timey person saying the color yellow. but no, daughter hated that, so Ella was chosen. Close to what it was, yet purty.

Anywho, Ella comes right up for haltering, sticks her nose right in, so that is NOT an issue, she is getting better even today, after the farrier has left, she is following better, listening better. I am using a rope halter, but want to get a traditional and hook up some reins to see if i can use just that. I just would rather be bitless, i guess. I like it better for some reason. But she works well in a snaffle, actually the gal game be a full cheek snaffle that she was using. I since have gotten another bridle and it had a plain snaffle, i tried the plain snaffle today, and she fought less, but it was after the farrier, so maybe just feels better today?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
If she was used for barrels, she may anticipate haltering leads to high stress activity, thus some anxiousness at first. Once she learns she is there to be loved, it will only get better. I find that even today my minis know that if I use my stern voice they need to respond well, LOL. Like a tussle at the feed trough & I say sternly "stop it!"....they settle down.

Horses are such amazing creatures and perceive our intentions so they easily key into our movement and sounds. You can decide what commands to use but, normally walk, trot, whoa, back...means just that and are normally a universal command, one she probably responded to before. If I have one getting jumpy, I generally say "easy, easy" and they learn that means calm down.

You all will be just fine. She's already responding to you and seems to be one who will love the attention & repay you 10 fold. She may be a little tender on the feet/legs for a few days until the muscles realign for her. I suspect she will loose much of the tenderness in a week or so.

As an amazing horse story -- my first one was "known" to be wild. I was 12, had wanted one all my life, I dreamed them! Dad was Navy & we were in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. A friend had told him he could take me to ride a horse he had there at the rental corral. We got the wrong horse! (A look alike) But found the single guy who owned him treated him VERY rough & the horse had thrown him & another guy. Owner was on restriction for 6 months, so sold the horse. A man rode him to the other corral and told my dad he'd never let me on that animal. (Both he & horse were dripping with sweat! Very flighty ride for him) Within a month he was just a different animal -- he changed with the devotion and love I bestowed upon him and became a real "pussycat" for me. However, he never liked a man to ride him -- instant act up. It was about his treatment by men. They know and respond! His name was Joker.

Unfortunately this was during the Cuban civil overthrow of Batista by Castro. We were sent home after 1.5 yr, vice the 3 yr tour. I had to leave my boy, broke my heart! But I am glad to know that he was shown that not all people are mean....that he was loved and I know he knew it by his responses to me.

That mare of yours will soon be "in your pocket". Enjoy her.

MaggieSims

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
aw, your story is warm felt and heartbreaking at the same time!

Yes, i felt like she was anxious thinking i was there to run the crap out of her and whip her to go fast. Apparently the main 'barrel racer' that used this horse was known for horrible treatment, run 'em hard, put em away wet, on to the next. Whipping and yanking at her horses for everything. So i really feel like she will learn that I will do no such thing and am there for love and support. I spend so much time in the pasture, just walking with her, petting her, picking up her feet, just hanging out. I also go in and halter her and walk her around, randomly.

I am 90% ready to ride, as far as tack goes, I just need a saddle pad and a better cinch. I did saddle her up yesterday, without a pad, just to do it and see if i remembered how, turns out i did! But i didn't mount yet, still giving her feet time.

MaggieSims

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
thought i'd a pic of her to show :)
IMG_20161108_085245526_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161108_085318086_HDR.jpg

MaggieSims

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
thank you @TAH she is a lovely girl, although a bit dirty XD

Here is a short video walk a round of her

Reactions: TAH

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
She walks along like our horse Daisy did.
Daisy had not had her hooves trimmed for two years, but after a 3 good trims she was still a bit sore but felt a lot better.

MaggieSims

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
@TAH

she has some limitation of movement in one back leg, she also has a huge scar on her rump on the same leg, could scar tissue limit movement?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes -- scar tissue can affect movement, extension, etc. It depends on how deep the injury and how the injury was treated, rested, re-damaged, etc. Also where the injury was & what it actually ripped into....muscle, tendon, nerves, etc.

She's a lovely mare who just WANTS to be loved -- treated well.

Reactions: TAH