New Member <3 Question on Keeping Bunnies outside :)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
It's not like chickens, whose poop is "hot" so high in nitrogen that it burns plants and stinks. I think with the buns, just on dirt would be OK and giving them fresh grass or hay would be a bonus. I guess if you could put up a small fence enclosure around the area you could let them out to free range a bit while observed... Again, don't know, just offering thoughts/ideas. :cool: I'll now introduce you over to some of our more esteemed and knowledgeable Rabbiteers!

@samssimonsays @Bunnylady @LukeMeister @Shorty @Hens and Roos @promiseacres and the list goes on! there are quite a few! Again, welcome!

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's a good idea, just if the run gets dirty sweep it out.

KariBunny

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It's not like chickens, whose poop is "hot" so high in nitrogen that it burns plants and stinks. I think with the buns, just on dirt would be OK and giving them fresh grass or hay would be a bonus. I guess if you could put up a small fence enclosure around the area you could let them out to free range a bit while observed... Again, don't know, just offering thoughts/ideas. :cool: I'll now introduce you over to some of our more esteemed and knowledgeable Rabbiteers!

@samssimonsays @Bunnylady @LukeMeister @Shorty @Hens and Roos @promiseacres and the list goes on! there are quite a few! Again, welcome!

You have been very helpful!! Thank you so so much!! God bless :)

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Straw is not good because it doesn't soak up anything it just sits on top of the straw:sick. I don't like wood chips if there are to many but they do make a good bedding if mix with other things, the bunny's tend to eat them same for wood shavings. It also is a invitation for diseases for your bunny's;). My favorite thing to do is a mix of several different things,
First layer saw dust, This helps keep the smell down and it soaks up any wetness. Some people don't like saw dust becuase it gets in there eyes but if you cover it with something on top it will be just fine.
Just normal hay with some wood chips is a great mix.
I put DE at the very bottom of the cage to keep flies and other weird bugs away.
Are your bunny's litter box trained?

micah wotring

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hey, Welcome to BYH! We use hay in our cages as we don't yet have a run and don't have any straw. The hay is a main part of their diet so that's mainly why we put it in but also for bedding.

It'll be interesting to see what all people do!

God bless,
MW

KariBunny

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey, Welcome to BYH! We use hay in our cages as we don't yet have a run and don't have any straw. The hay is a main part of their diet so that's mainly why we put it in but also for bedding.

It'll be interesting to see what all people do!

God bless,
MW
Great thank you for the info!! :) blessings!

KariBunny

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Straw is not good because it doesn't soak up anything it just sits on top of the straw:sick. I don't like wood chips if there are to many but they do make a good bedding if mix with other things, the bunny's tend to eat them same for wood shavings. It also is a invitation for diseases for your bunny's;). My favorite thing to do is a mix of several different things,
First layer saw dust, This helps keep the smell down and it soaks up any wetness. Some people don't like saw dust becuase it gets in there eyes but if you cover it with something on top it will be just fine.
Just normal hay with some wood chips is a great mix.
I put DE at the very bottom of the cage to keep flies and other weird bugs away.
Are your bunny's litter box trained?

Just one bunny, that's very useful info!! Thank you :)

Reactions: TAH

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I don't like using straw as they eat it and it is nutritionally void so it is filling them up with nothing beneficial for the rabbit. Don't use cedar chips if you do use any wood chips. I have also litter box trained them to litter pans (this was very useful with only a few rabbits for easy clean up)

KariBunny

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I don't like using straw as they eat it and it is nutritionally void so it is filling them up with nothing beneficial for the rabbit. Don't use cedar chips if you do use any wood chips. I have also litter box trained them to litter pans (this was very useful with only a few rabbits for easy clean up)
One is trained, the other 2 are not. I will have to train them too :) thanks for the reply :)

Reactions: TAH

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome :frow glad you joined us! Very nice looking set up and rabbits. Our rabbits are housed in cages so the poop/urine falls through the wire into a pan for collection so not much help in the way of housing outside.