New member. From BYC to BYH

JimLad

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
After several years of raising chickens and ducks, I have finally given up on the constant, small predator battle.
I happen to love small animals and having to cope with the seemingly endless supply has worn me down. I made a brief switch to rabbits and am happy to keep a few.
So now, the sheds are all converted to rabbits and goats.
Truth be known, the doors were all designed for goats and geese.
As always, I will be lurking.
Just because you never hear from me doesn't mean you haven't helped me.
Many of you have. Particularly on any of the threads about goat diet.
I have six young goats, five of them girls and five of them part Boer with two of them being purebred. One Nubian Lamancha.
Four Guinea fowl.
Three Embden Geese.
Two Flemish Giants and Two New Zealand White does.
I'm on Vancouver Island and if I can ever be of help to folks on the Island, feel free to contact me.
Thanks again.
Jim Lad

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome! I started on BYC, too. If you have the interest/option, consider an LGD. My 3yr pyr/AS cross has prevented me from ever losing a chicken or duck to coyotes, raccoons, etc or even predatory birds. It’s an investment, for sure, getting them through the first couple years, but so valuable once trained!

Anyway, welcome to the fun world of goats!

JimLad

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks, Coolbreeze89:
I actually got chickens to get out of buying my daughter a dog.
But I gave her the go ahead yesterday.
We'll be looking for a border collie or Lassie type.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi there! I also started on BYC...I think a lot of us did! Aren’t goats just the best?! I have six kids right now and three mommas...it’s party time all day!! You will meet a ton of great people on here and learn lots of great information! We’d love to see pictures of your animals and learn more about them too!! I also breed rabbits, had geese, have chickens, etc....there’s a great rabbit thread on here with a lot of great information!! Check it out!! Welcome from all of us at BYH!

JimLad

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi Duckfarmerpa1:
Goats most certainly are the best. I have half a dozen right now but will probably cut that back by next winter. I'm herding them daily until such time as I add another half acre next to their paddock.
It took me a month or so to come up with a preference. I love my Toggenburg/Boer doe and the Boer doe although she is really standoffish and comes with a dwarfed Boer doe as part of the package.
The Nubian Boer kids are really noisy.
So much so that I'm not sure I want to carry on with Nubians at all.
I also like the short stocky frames of the Boer and Toggenburg Boer.

Attachments

• IMG_20200217_091445181.jpg
    IMG_20200217_091445181.jpg
    665.4 KB · Views: 154

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are cute!! Cut back? Really? That’d be impossible for me! I have to sell a kid now and it’s breaking my heart...but, you can’t keep them all. I have ND, ND and planer goat...the Batman boat with the airplane ears...and Pygmy/ND mix. I have two new goats that are noisy, but, they haven’t been with my herd due to the kidding. Lately they have all been together and the new goats are thrilled. Sometimes goats make noise when they are bored or sad...could there be a goat in your mix that is upsetting the noise makers? Or, perhaps it’s just that they are new to your farm?

JimLad

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
No. They are 8 weeks old, locked in the paddock with the rest and are bottle fed.
They're just calling me out.
Cute but even though we're all on small acreages, I'm the only one who does any kind of hobby farming and it can't be easy on the neighbours.
I take the goats out to browse for about two hours daily and things pretty well stay calm after that.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas. We have nubian/toggenberg doe with her two Doeling thats are 3/4 nubian and 1/4 toggenberg. We getting a buckling who is nubain/sansan cross. We have chickens, ducks, geese, rabbits, and pigs. Oh and cows lol.

JimLad

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you.
My Toggenburg is from a full Toggenburg Doe and Toggenburg/Boer sire.
She just turned seven months and was raised by a young teenager.
Marvelous animal.

Attachments

• IMG_20200215_102947345.jpg
    IMG_20200215_102947345.jpg
    717.9 KB · Views: 136

Latest posts