New Member from BYC :)

mountainbear

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm one of the BYC converts! I'm actually new to BYC as well, I only joined this March and have not posted much - just read a lot of the great information. My husband has an itch to be a farmer, so we are starting with chickens this year, and are considering (we all know what that means) moving up to something in the goat/sheep/pig size range in the next couple of years, with the eventual goal of some cattle.

We currently have 5 chickens who are still babies (bought chicks mid-March), 3 dogs, a cat and a horse. The horse doesn't live on our property, but pastures with some family who own other horses so he can do horsey things and live a horsey life. ;)

This forum looks like a great, supportive community and I'm sure I will learn a ton from you all! Thanks for having me!

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Ohio! Do you have enough property for the other livestock, or are you looking to find acreage to move to for your farm? Mind if i ask what state you are in?

mountainbear

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello! I'm in North Carolina and we currently have 5.3 acres, but do have a fair amount of woods. We are also looking at buying the adjoining 3.5 acres. Where we keep the horse is somewhere around 10 acres and it's about 10 minutes away from us!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH from NE Texas... BYH; the home of "herd enablers extraordinaire"! :gig You've already taken the most obvious steps... you own land, and you have chickens, which most know are the gateway animal to herd ownership. So, make yourself at home and browse around. In doing so, you'll get to "meet" many of the excellent active members we have here. Please put at least a general location as to where you are in your profile. I see snow (a lot) so I would guess it's not south FL. Location has a large impact on responses when/if you ask questions. Glad you joined us!

mountainbear

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you to both of you for the welcome! I'm looking forward to learning a lot!