New member I have Nigerian goats

Raven

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a few over weight goats my vet said one of them is really fat they eat like pigs one is in milk how do I slim her down. She weights 98 lbs she’s a big girl she lost one of her babies they said not to breed her again. Does anyone know could this because she’s fat I need help she has beautiful babies and is a really good mom she’s 5 yrs old thank you

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, obviously, less feed will help her lose -- but you need to be gradual with the lessening. If a FEW are overweight, then you need to review and revamp your routine for everyone.

Let's start with what she's being fed, when, and how. Like--grains, hay (type), pasture, alone or in a group, etc. Are you milking her? Is just baby nursing?

goats love to eat! Their food, another's, other animals -- food is just fair game to them. Some are pushy and will butt a herd member away for their share.....so tell us what you're providing.

Vet may have suggested not breeding due to weight. Ask. But if that is the reason, a diet altering should have been discussed. Maybe a suggestion was made that you didn't want to acknowledge.

ND & pygmy tend to often have bulkier frames than the larger dairy types...who often appear thinner. Others will offer advice but we'll all need above questions answered to help you. 😊

Raven

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
There eating alfalfa pellets barely oats sweet feed I give the Redmond’s mineral. They want there animal cracker baking soda difference hay really what I can get The food doesn’t seem as good as it was last year oh sun I get most of my grains from Azures and feed stores they get there vitamins and minerals mostly Alfalfa hay grazer they haven’t had Timothy hay for a while because they haven’t had it in stock There being fed twice a day given fresh water twice a day
Yes she’s being milked I’m bottle feeding babies when I dried her up that’s when she started getting fat I thought when she was pregnant she was going to have 4 babies but she just had 2 small babies one the vet had to deliver that was bent in half and was born dead all my goats come from great lines and are registered but her she thinks she’s a queen. There’s another one who thinks that too
She’s had babies 3 times she seems like she doesn’t want to push after the first one last year she had 4 babies 3 alive one the vet had to deliver and it was twisted and it was born dead two I wasn’t going to breed her till late last year but my buck got loose and got her pregnant to soon. She didn’t have a long enough break to get her body in shape
The vet really didn’t tell me why not to breed her just said she was to fat I called the the night she was in labor and they said wait till the morning and it was to late for the baby to live Truthfully I think it’s because she’s to fat and she was wore out I’m trying to find another vet that will look at them when I call to get help I’ve never turned a baby around I’m scared I will hurt them
Mine are Nigerian goats no other suggestions were made not even a diet. That’s how I found you so maybe I could get some good advice. I hope I answered all you questions
Oh about there grazing they eat the trees they sometimes eat the weeds but not a lot Someone told me to stop feeding them so much and they would graze more or brows more
Thank you