New Member, New Country Girl, New Goat Owner, Just New

SonRise Acres

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That title pretty much sums me up.

We live on 400 acres and have lived here 6 years (whoa, 6 years today!! Happy anniversary us!). Anyways, what to say. We live simply in a complicated life. We have two sons with special needs and medical issues. We homeschool, are Christians, and have a lot of fun together as a family.

We have 6 chickens. We will be getting more, just decided to get back into that after a 2 year break. We also have 2 goats. We are JUST starting on that journey and have discovered we really enjoy it. One of our goats is pregnant (came to us bred) and that means I am nervous, nervous. I will be glad when this is all over and am praying for an easy and live birth since it's our first time. (we are also hoping for females if anyone wants to cross a few fingers for us)

Um, what else? We have two dogs (polar opposites as one weighs 70lbs and one weighs 5), and two cats (one outside awesome mouser and one therapy cat that lives indoors for one of our sons). My husband grew up on this land and I fought him tooth and nail about moving out here. I always liked the idea of country living but never enough to take the plunge. Then a family emergency made me give up my concerns and move. I wouldn't change it for all the money in the world. I have found my niche and I love it. Our kids love being little country bumpkins and my youngest tells me all the time, "I love being a farmer" (he's freakishly a natural at all of this, even at a young age).

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from New Hampshire! Wow! 400 acres? I'll try to hide my envy over here!

I am also a homeschooler, nice to hear from more! I was a Special Education teacher before I left to stay home with my daughter and take care of the goats, pigs, chickens and turkeys. Oh and the dogs of course!

Isn't it great to raise your kids in the country? I wouldn't have it any other way!

There are a lot of super friendly and knowledgeable goat people here! I am a relative newbie to breeding and birthing so I have no advice other than what I've read here. But the experts will show up soon! ;)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from NW Mississippi!!....and to the 'Country Livin' lifestyle....we've only had our goats for about a year and a half....2 wethers and 1doe...so, won't be of any help to you on birthing, and reading my writing will probably make ya 'Cringe'....;)....we have lived here on 20 acres for 11 yrs and just got started getting animals with the goats...we have added chickens and ducks, and cats inside and out....there certainly is a 'Ton' of info in the goat 'Threads and Forums' and many wonderfully Helpful members that are more than willing to help educate us beginners....so, just jump in and ask if the is a question that arises while reading....ones hesistancy in sharing their 'Location' is very understandable, but if there is a Generalized location in your banner it can really help ya a lot....this is because many 'Issues' can be area based and can depend on climate conditions, and even minerals, pests, and diseases in the area....it will just save you from having to answer that question each time you ask for information....anyway, sure hope you have an easy 'Kidding' and all turns out well for ya!!....and again :welcome

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
:frow Welcome to BYH from the Great State of Texas! You've come to the right place to learn about raising goats. We have lots of awesome goat people. Like CntryBoy I don't have experience birthing goats. I have 4 wethered Nigerian Dwarfs. But, would love to cheer you on.

Once again . . .:welcome it's so great to have you joun us!

SonRise Acres

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:frow Welcome to BYH from the Great State of Texas! You've come to the right place to learn about raising goats. We have lots of awesome goat people. Like CntryBoy I don't have experience birthing goats. I have 4 wethered Nigerian Dwarfs. But, would love to cheer you on.

Once again . . .:welcome it's so great to have you joun us!

Texas?!?! Wahoo. I am Texas born and raised until 6 years ago when we moved to my husband's home state.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well greetings and welcome from another (recently moved to) East Texan :frow Southern OK isn't that far away from TX :D You sure sound like you've found your life's calling. Love country life! Glad you joined us! Please browse (or graze if you prefer) around the forum threads and make yourself at home! There's a really great group of folks here dealing with rabbits, goats, sheep, cows, horses, and just all manner of animals. Like others have said, if you have a question, post away! Chances are you'll have a response in short order :) Oh, and I'm surprised nobody mentioned it but we are most all picture addicts here. We love to OOOooo and ahhh over pictures of other's animals. If you have some you'd be willing to share, we'd all be appreciative.:celebrate

SonRise Acres

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Latestarter, I will attach a few pictures I added to a question I asked on one of the boards. The first two are our 18 week old male. The second two are our female the day we bought her about 2 weeks ago. A funny story with our young male. The one with the soccer ball makes me laugh. This was the day we got him. We had him on a lead until we tweaked a few things for him to be safe. My kids were kicking a ball around and it came near him. He ran up to see what it was and butted it back in their direction. They kicked/tapped it back to him just for grins. He butted it back to them and then looked at them and then the ball and then cried until they kicked it back. This went on for about 5 minutes. Who knew? A soccer goat.
20161127_132656.jpg 20161129_151346.jpg Nellie.jpg Nellie2.jpg

micah wotring

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hey, welcome to BYH!
I'm a christian Home schooler too! I've got goats, chickens, rabbits, turkeys, quail, a dog, and one beef cow. Soon maybe sheep, pigs, and a goat or two.
Anyway, great to have you here!

Latestarter, I will attach a few pictures I added to a question I asked on one of the boards. The first two are our 18 week old male. The second two are our female the day we bought her about 2 weeks ago. A funny story with our young male. The one with the soccer ball makes me laugh. This was the day we got him. We had him on a lead until we tweaked a few things for him to be safe. My kids were kicking a ball around and it came near him. He ran up to see what it was and butted it back in their direction. They kicked/tapped it back to him just for grins. He butted it back to them and then looked at them and then the ball and then cried until they kicked it back. This went on for about 5 minutes. Who knew? A soccer goat.
View attachment 25544 View attachment 25545 View attachment 25546 View attachment 25547
Thanks for the pix!
You may want to read up a little on the ramming behavior of bucks/bucklings. If you let them ram you when they are young they WILL when they are old. This is especially important if you have full sized goats and/or younger kids. Just beware.

:)
MW

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes! Pictures, we need pictures!!!

So, you're in Southern OK! :celebrate @Latestarter, @tressa27884, and @Baymule & I are in North East Texas. The last time we were in Paris (an hour from us), we took a drive to the Red River and it was no more than a half hour. So, it doesn't seem that we could be that far from each other, that a visit might be possible some time. :weee I just LOVE meeting other BYH cohorts! :celebrate

SonRise Acres

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey, welcome to BYH!
I'm a christian Home schooler too! I've got goats, chickens, rabbits, turkeys, quail, a dog, and one beef cow. Soon maybe sheep, pigs, and a goat or two.
Anyway, great to have you here!

Thanks for the pix!
You may want to read up a little on the ramming behavior of bucks/bucklings. If you let them ram you when they are young they WILL when they are old. This is especially important if you have full sized goats and/or younger kids. Just beware.

:)
MW

Thank you for the warning. After that little game his first day home, we don't allow him to ram anything other than the ground (he does that occasionally). He has learned pretty quickly to not head butt us.