TxMN

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Building our home on 30 acres in Mountain Springs area, just north of Lake a Ray Roberts in Coke County, Tx. Previous experience is with bees. Wife grew up with horses and mules on their farm outside Muleshoe Tx, they frequently packed into mountains of New Mexico. As we are planning our retirement days, we are seriously considering miniature donkeys, as pets, and possibly kunekune pigs, and dwarf nigerian goats. Most interested in mini donkeys, other assorted animals are of interest but not as seriously as the wonderful mini donkeys. looking Forward to the resources of this forum as we plan this exciting latter years of our lives on the farm.

Andy Shelton
ElSueno Farms

BarnOwl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello from Tennessee! Good luck on your journey. I have always loved horses and donkeys, even contemplated mini-donkeys once, but most likely will never own any. We have chickens, American Guinea hogs, and quail. Getting Nigerian dwarf goats at the end of May once they are weaned, and that will probably complete our little "farm."

Madhouse Pullet

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Picture_20201122_135616424.jpg

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Building our home on 30 acres in Mountain Springs area, just north of Lake a Ray Roberts in Coke County, Tx. Previous experience is with bees. Wife grew up with horses and mules on their farm outside Muleshoe Tx, they frequently packed into mountains of New Mexico. As we are planning our retirement days, we are seriously considering miniature donkeys, as pets, and possibly kunekune pigs, and dwarf nigerian goats. Most interested in mini donkeys, other assorted animals are of interest but not as seriously as the wonderful mini donkeys. looking Forward to the resources of this forum as we plan this exciting latter years of our lives on the farm.

Andy Shelton
ElSueno Farms
Howdy and welcome!

I grew up in Texas, 7th generation actually, but then moved to Alaska to raise a family, Texas got too peopled up.

We right now have kunekunes... they are cute... they are pretty darn sweet, gentle, easy to handle....

But... stupid to have as feeder pigs. They grow slow. I wish we had gotten one of the standard kinds of pigs.

A couple years back we had a "regular" pig, and after some months of feeding it was pretty darn big and butchered out wonderfully.

This year.... 2 kunekunes... we have had the blasted things since August maybe??? Still pretty small...

When they say "they get fat fast" they just mean that they can put on a huge tub of lard under the skin layer.... but I drool over buckets of sausage, not buckets of lard. :idunno

We are hoping to butcher them in the next week or three.... it will be interesting to see what we get.

Latest posts