NLHomestead

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello!

Quick new member intro. My name is Veronica and I'm from PA. We're working on building up our homestead. Right now we have horses, chickens, ducks, and rabbits. In addition to our full timers, we have a steer, pigs, and rabbits that are our kids' 4H projects. We have plans on dipping our toes into breeding rabbits next year, mainly as a supply for the 4H meat trios.
Looking forward to learning from everyone!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello!

Quick new member intro. My name is Veronica and I'm from PA. We're working on building up our homestead. Right now we have horses, chickens, ducks, and rabbits. In addition to our full timers, we have a steer, pigs, and rabbits that are our kids' 4H projects. We have plans on dipping our toes into breeding rabbits next year, mainly as a supply for the 4H meat trios.
Looking forward to learning from everyone!
Sounds fantastic! Please tell me that you get to eat the pigs!!!! :drool Sadly... I think 4H means the pigs go to the fair and are auctioned?

How many kids? I have 5. They are all trying to grow up though. :ep

NLHomestead

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sounds fantastic! Please tell me that you get to eat the pigs!!!! :drool Sadly... I think 4H means the pigs go to the fair and are auctioned?

How many kids? I have 5. They are all trying to grow up though. :ep
Last year we raised 4 pigs and only 1 was a 4H project, so we had enough in the freezer to take a year off of personal pigs! The 2 we have this year are both 4H, so they'll be headed to our fair's livestock sale in a little over a month. We did buy back our oldest's first steer a couple years ago and put him in our freezer and he was delicious! Best steak I've ever had. We don't actually live at our mini farm yet (foundation's in the ground, modular is coming in 2 weeks!), but we have talked about raising a steer along with a 4H for our use when do live there.

We have 3 kids. Our oldest just turned 12 this past Sunday (she has the steer and 1 of the pigs), middle will be 9 in September (she has the rabbit trio and the other pig), and our youngest will be 6 in September (he's a cloverbud, so no project animals yet). The girls both have bee hives as well, our son has gotten into the hives once and loved it, so I won't be surprised if he ends up with bees too.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from east Texas! You have quite the farm going! Getting to move there will be fabulous!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Last year we raised 4 pigs and only 1 was a 4H project, so we had enough in the freezer to take a year off of personal pigs! The 2 we have this year are both 4H, so they'll be headed to our fair's livestock sale in a little over a month. We did buy back our oldest's first steer a couple years ago and put him in our freezer and he was delicious! Best steak I've ever had. We don't actually live at our mini farm yet (foundation's in the ground, modular is coming in 2 weeks!), but we have talked about raising a steer along with a 4H for our use when do live there.

We have 3 kids. Our oldest just turned 12 this past Sunday (she has the steer and 1 of the pigs), middle will be 9 in September (she has the rabbit trio and the other pig), and our youngest will be 6 in September (he's a cloverbud, so no project animals yet). The girls both have bee hives as well, our son has gotten into the hives once and loved it, so I won't be surprised if he ends up with bees too.
Sounds like a dream come true! :clap

I have 5 boys. Eldest is 23, then on down to the youngest at 14.

I homeschooled them all... down to just 2 kids in homeschool... rest are done! :ep

I think animal chores are incredibly helpful in raising children. Teaches buckets of good values.

Latest posts