NEW method to disbud a baby goat

Scooby308

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
And her response was typical. I live in Austin, not too many goats. Just do dogs and cats. Wow, you'd think maybe she would branch out. When she lived in KY, she was big into bovine and swine...guess she gave up the rat race for the cat chase.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Babsbag, Southern? How about the results? I'd be very interested at this point. I'm pretty sure the injection site is around the base of the bud. As that is the source of any new growth.

Further, i would guess that if it works with new kids, it may also work on scurs.

I disbud by burning.

I've tried both paste and burning and will NEVER, ever use paste on a bud again!

However, with advanced scur growth, I have found that I can put a little paste around a banded scur and the scur will come off MUCH faster with out the discomfort associated with pasting a kid's buds. I put the band on, then rub paste into a piece of gauze and wrap it tightly around the band with a piece of elastoband, so the goat can't rub it off. The scur comes off pretty quickly.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't do the clove oil. Kids can easily go into respiratory distress and die. Clove oil is toxic at high doses and there is no good information on what that dose is for a goat.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
I think it needs more research to work out dosing for different size animals. I'm still hopeful, but at this point cautious and think we should be very careful in following a vet recommended protocol if doing it ourselves.

klcardella

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Babsbag, Southern? How about the results? I'd be very interested at this point. I'm pretty sure the injection site is around the base of the bud. As that is the source of any new growth.

Further, i would guess that if it works with new kids, it may also work on scurs.

I disbud by burning.

I've tried both paste and burning and will NEVER, ever use paste on a bud again!

However, with advanced scur growth, I have found that I can put a little paste around a banded scur and the scur will come off MUCH faster with out the discomfort associated with pasting a kid's buds. I put the band on, then rub paste into a piece of gauze and wrap it tightly around the band with a piece of elastoband, so the goat can't rub it off. The scur comes off pretty quickly.

After seeing some serious problems with burning (by a vet)on my wether brush eaters, I was too afraid to have it done, so when I got a Jersey heifer, I used the paste, and it worked great. After a year, she looks polled with zero growth.

I recently used it on two Nubian bucks at 6 days old, and they look good so far. We left it on for 30 minutes, then washed with vinegar, then warm water. They scratched at their heads for about a half hour, then acted completely normal. After 24 hours, 3 of the 4 buds have fallen off, and the 4th is scabby. I am cautiously optimistic that it will work as well as it did for the calf.

I did have my husband hold them for the entire 30 minutes wrapped in a blanket, and we covered their faces with an old cloth diaper to avoid anything getting in their eyes.

I have heard so many horror stories about the paste, but my experience has been the opposite, and the burning by the vet has been very much worse. Of course, this has only been my experience.

BTW, with the burning, we only have 3 out of 8 that have no scurs.

Latest posts