1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

    Dismiss Notice
  2. Help! My Rabbit just had babies - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)
    Dismiss Notice

New Mini Jersey, have questions

Discussion in 'Breeds & Breeding - Cattle' started by lovinglife, Aug 9, 2018 at 8:45 AM.

  1. Aug 9, 2018 at 8:45 AM
    lovinglife

    lovinglife Loving the herd life

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2010
    Messages:
    454
    Likes Received:
    14
    Trophy Points:
    143
    We just bought a 75% mini Jersey calf, the other 25% is an odd mix of mostly other mini breeds. We intend to raise her up, halter train, all that good stuff now while she is young. My questions are, what tests, vaccines etc will we need to do (if any) as she will be our family milk cow in a year or so, well probably closer to two years. She is 4-5 months old at this time. We are not new to dairy, we currently have dairy goats, I was raised on a cow dairy farm but that was YEARS ago and I have no idea what health tests etc were required. I am so excited for this little heifer, though she may end up more in the mid range. If anyone has mini jersey milk cows I would love to chat.
    Thanks!
     
  2. Aug 9, 2018 at 8:58 AM
    greybeard

    greybeard Herd Master Golden Herd Member

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2011
    Messages:
    3,532
    Likes Received:
    4,957
    Trophy Points:
    363
    Location:
    East Texas
    1st of all, tho she is a bit young yet, you need to have her checked by vet for any breeding/reproductive issues. No breeding, no milk.
    (before purchasing, you did confirm from buyer that she was not a twin to a bull calf...right?)
     
  3. Aug 9, 2018 at 1:30 PM
    lovinglife

    lovinglife Loving the herd life

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2010
    Messages:
    454
    Likes Received:
    14
    Trophy Points:
    143
    She is not a twin, like I said not a complete nube :). She had to have health papers for transport, what else should I check for? She comes from a good farm with a good reputation if that matters. Will she need any shots? What kind of tests do I need? I'm just too darn excited at the moment.
     
  4. Aug 13, 2018 at 3:24 PM
    cjc

    cjc Loving the herd life

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2015
    Messages:
    466
    Likes Received:
    497
    Trophy Points:
    173
    Location:
    The Valley - British Columbia, Canada
    Congrats! Jersey's are the sweetest. We have a couple and just love them.

    When I start out any cow I give them an 8 way vaccine and also give them tetanus. I always make sure those shots are up to date but I live in BC, Canada. Best thing to do is call your local vet and ask what they suggest. The 8 way vaccine covers everything for our area but you may need others where you are.

    Once she is bred and calved you can test her for TB. We actually don't test ours but we also don't consume the milk it goes into my bottle calves. I did recently sell a jersey cow to a hobby farmer who tried to test for TB and buy the vaccine and the local vet in our area said its not done anymore. I had to get a shot brought in for her. But other than general maintenance on your calf there isn't much to do until the first calf is born and she is producing milk.

    Also, myself, I wouldn't test her for any reproduction issues at this point but that is just me. I would just put her in with a bull when she was 16 months or AI her when she starts cycling. We have a small farm tho. I've never had a heifer not get pregnant easily only my old cows. I would just take the risk and raise her up.
     
  5. Aug 13, 2018 at 5:21 PM
    lovinglife

    lovinglife Loving the herd life

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2010
    Messages:
    454
    Likes Received:
    14
    Trophy Points:
    143
    Thank you, that is the plan. I probably wont test for TB either, unless the vet suggests it. Well now to just be patient and wait for 2 years.