New Mommy here!

Tinamarie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
New goat mommy here. 2 Nigerian dwarf withers,Lenny and Squiggy. We got them for companionship only. 10weeks old. Very excited BUT NERVOUS AND ANXIOUS. So glad I found this page ....please be patient with me. It may seem like I'm "playing" 21 questions. Just want the VERY BEST for our boysThank you in advance.
Tina Marie
20180804_133210(0).jpg

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH Tinamarie, from NE TX! So glad you joined us. Thanks for sharing pictures of your two cute wethers! There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me will never remember & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Another big howdy and welcome from the Lone Star State... where the stars at night are big and bright! Glad to have you here, and tickled pink you found us!

All of us started out as newbies, heck you have to start somewhere doncha? So, ask all your questions and keep asking until the answers make sense to YOU. Some have been doing goaties a whole long longer than others and sometimes we gloss over smaller, but important points that a new person should learn. Ask and ask again. Won't hurt our feelings and it makes us review how we do things to ensure we are not slipping on an item. Make sense?

Love the names. You are going to have so much fun with your boys. Wethers are very nice. Nigerians are very nice, a good size for handling. A wee bit of advise, if you don't already have one get a milking stand for your boys. It will make trimming hooves much easier on you and makes giving shots easier as the squirmy goatie can't go anywhere. There are plans out on the net for building your own so you don't have to go buy a metal one. You can even make the stand taller and use a ramp for the boys to get up on it. Your back is not replaceable.

Again welcome and have fun with your boys. They will like lots of different treats such as raisins, animal cookies, melon rinds chopped up to bite size pieces... just not all at once.

And, don't forget to CD-T once a year!

Looking forward to reading your posts and enjoying your pictures.

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome! Only thing better for companionship is a pot belly pig! Goats are like a grass eating Golden Retriever, so personable! Ohio is full of good goat folks. Check out www.adga.org and find the list of local goat clubs close to you. Most have monthly potluck and sometimes an educational speaker. Lot of family fun and wealth of how not to kill your goats. I never would have made it my first year goatkeeping without our local club- Smoky Mountain Dairy Goat Association. Of course that was back almost 30 years ago before internet.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from the Hoosier state!

Ok, I'll be the first to say it, though others are thinkin' it too.
Ol' CITY GIRL maybe, but not OLD. ;)

Enjoy BYH. Lots of good folks and duscussion.