New owner of steers and Feed Questions

Boats121

Just born
Reaction score
I am a new owner of two steers that I am feeding out, and have several questions regarding feed. First, what is the difference when feeding three-way grain and a finishing grain for the last months of feeding? Second, would it be wrong to give the steers constant access to oat hay and occasionally feed alfalfa? Thanks in advance for any advice!

The steers are about 750-800 pounds. I plan on feeding them out til the end of the year.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't answer the grain question, but I can say that the oat-hay will be lower quality than hay from "normal" grass like fescue, brome, etc. You might want to not limit-feed alfalfa if you are wanting to put some gain on your steers. Oat hay is pretty similar to straw in terms of fiber content: it's more gut-filler than actual value. So you will be slowing the finishing/backgrounding process by feeding oat hay.

Just my $0.02.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I agree. Oat hay will cost you more $$$ in the end if you consider feed input costs up against finished weight.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by "three way grain". However, if you are in the last 2 - 3 months of finishing, you should feed the finishing grain, which I would assume would be high in corn. You could feed up to 2 - 3 % of their body weight in the last couple months. I'd not feed a "bagged ration", as with two steers, you should be able to mix your own ration much cheaper. Example: 1500 lbs of corn, 300 lbs of oats or barley, and 200 lbs of protein pellets or soybean meal. Also feed a good quality mineral/salt/vitamin mixture free choice.

As to the hay question---Oat hay can be quite good feed, as long as it was put up properly. If cut at the right stage, and not too mature, it is fine. If you feed alfalfa, be sure to feed it constantly, not a big bunch one day, and another bunch a week later. You run the risk of bloat if you do it that way. I'd feed a few pounds every day. Good luck with your new venture!

Boats121

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I will let you know how it turns out!