New pigs How cold is too cold

burntmuch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Just picked up my 2 feeder pigs today. They look good & healthy, Well we had a cold snap. I tried to delay getting the pigs till next week. But it didnt work. Its supposed to get down to 8 degrees tonight. Ive got them in a 12X22 pen with a 4X8 house with a bale of straw on the floor. I wasnt planning on putting a light on them, but Im wondering if I should put one on them till morning.. What do ya think.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
:pop

I am wondering the same thing. It is stinkin' cold here and I need to get my pigs soon. We don't have space in the barn for them, they will be in their doorless A-frame in the back field, right from their mama's teat. Poor things!

Royd Wood

Reaction score
I got 7 tamworth / Hampshire cross in January (minus 15 - 20) kept them in an old barn with lots of straw and they were fine.
Good luck with the new pigs

burntmuch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Just checked on them. snug as a bug. cuddled up together in the straw. Thanks for the replys.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What the heck ever happened to global warming??????? I'm going outside and burn some plastic and let my SUV idle all afternoon. Sick to death of this eternal winter. It's been really hard on everything around here, buildings collapsing from snow load, livestock eating twice as much as normal, and heating bills through the roof.

burntmuch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yeah I know. Its crazy. Theres about 1000 lbs of ice & snow sitting on my collapsed chicken run. Just another fun little project for me to tackle when I get a day off. But my new pigs are staying warm

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Our boar, mama pig and 3 little (cut) male pigs all share an out building right now about the size of a horse stall. One side is 1/3 open, and they are all warm enough. We fill the little shed with lots of hay which they nibble on between meals. They all sleep in the hay. We warm their food on the cold nites. They get dairy and fruit/vegies mixed in with their grain. The piglets were born inside early dec and we moved Charlotte and piglets out with Wilbur last weekend then we had another snowstorm! They didn't seem to mind and the piglets loved playing in the snow.

You guys should see my fencing after this wicked snowfall!!! Luckily the piggies have round pen panels lined with cattle panels so no falling down there.

mountainman811

Just born
Reaction score
We live in binghamton, had some cold nights this last week. Picked up 2 piglets 9 weeks old. Someone told me to wrap the shelter with plastic and pack the inside with hay. They have been fine. They burrow under the hay at night and plastic keeps drafts to a minimum

burntmuch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My 2 pigs did fine. I ll be honest, I was nervous. There was a few nights where I went out at 2 am to check on them. They were snug as a bug.

sevenmile

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
jhm47 said:
What the heck ever happened to global warming??????? I'm going outside and burn some plastic and let my SUV idle all afternoon. Sick to death of this eternal winter. It's been really hard on everything around here, buildings collapsing from snow load, livestock eating twice as much as normal, and heating bills through the roof.
:lol::lol: