New plantings for the goats

Judy-Ron

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ron and I went to Lowes to get materials for a small DIY kitchen project. While we were there we decided to see if they had some safe plants we could use in the goat pen. We found some Purple Fountain Grasses there on clearance. They were brown and looked very neglected.. At $5 for a gallon bucket we thought it was worth a try... When we got them to the register the gal told us that they were an additional 90% off! We got all they had for $1.90 for each! We weren't sure if the goats would eat them or not but for that price if they didn't that'd be ok too...As soon as we put them in the pen they started nibbling on them and when we placed them for planting we had more help than we needed... So far they have pruned them down to some pretty good looking plants.. I think our choice was a success!
Eating away1.jpg

Eating away3.jpg

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah..they look great.. I hope they grow back even thicker..you have nice little goaties!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Goats love browse. What is your location? it is not in your avatar, it helps sometimes with advice. You could plant willow trees for pollarding or coppice. You would have to keep the goats off them so you could cut the willows and give them treats. Willows here grow everywhere, getting a start is as simple as stopping on the side of the road and cutting some small branches for starts.

Judy-Ron

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Cute and I'm sure they will enjoy them -- maybe 36 hrs worth. LOL
They'll have them pruned down in a day or two but they will come back as fresh grasses for them to nibble on.

Judy-Ron

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Cute and I'm sure they will enjoy them -- maybe 36 hrs worth. LOL
Thanks, they are still babies. Rascal is 4 months old and Shawn Patrick is 8 weeks old. They are having fun with them.

Judy-Ron

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Goats love browse. What is your location? it is not in your avatar, it helps sometimes with advice. You could plant willow trees for pollarding or coppice. You would have to keep the goats off them so you could cut the willows and give them treats. Willows here grow everywhere, getting a start is as simple as stopping on the side of the road and cutting some small branches for starts.
We are in Central Florida. We have trouble growing plants in the sandy soil here so we use pots and potting soil to keep things moist and growing. The soil here is poor, no copper or selenium so they are given loose minerals for their health and we also supplement them with thiamine in BOSS and raisins.