New pullets need quarantine advice please :)

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
So...can I be so blunt as to ask...how much is alfalfa hay? It is hard to get around here...we have to drive 63 miles one way and it’s $9. Is that normal? We’re not thrilled. Plus..it’s no way that heavy..bulky...mayby 40-50

It would vary according to your region. If I had to buy alfalfa from a feed store it would be between $10 and $12. I buy 4 tons of alfalfa (and 6 tons of grass mix) every summer from a hay farmer. I don't remember exactly what the alf ran per bale this year, but it was probably between $7and $8/bale. These are about 80/85 pounders. Do you think you could buy from a farmer? It's usually much cheaper.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
It would vary according to your region. If I had to buy alfalfa from a feed store it would be between $10 and $12. I buy 4 tons of alfalfa (and 6 tons of grass mix) every summer from a hay farmer. I don't remember exactly what the alf ran per bale this year, but it was probably between $7and $8/bale. These are about 80/85 pounders. Do you think you could buy from a farmer? It's usually much cheaper.
We are buying from a farmer. The feed stores only sell straw. People don’t really have goats..like, my hubby’s sister has a store that sells feed..so I went and asked for goat feed..it was sweet feed. I called..only thing they carry, same all around. I found a place that orders pellets just for me. Crazy.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most feed stores that do not have very many in the area that want a certain type feed, do not keep it in stock because they have to order a minimum amount.... or in the case of a mill than makes their own, have to make a minimum amount. If it is not sold in a reasonable amount of time, it can get "old" or even stale and musty. Our mill will make a 1 ton of some of the feeds, but then I get it delivered in bulk and have to have a 2 ton minimum for delivery. So I can get 1 ton of poultry and 1 ton of cattle feed. I also get a small discount if I give them at least 48 hour notice or get a minimum of 4 ton.... I will get the early order discount if I call ahead and tell them......Whenever you are headed this way the next time, I need 2 ton of such and such.... Sometimes it is 3-5 days.... but they give me a break since they can put in on a truck that is already coming this way. Most of the delivery trucks have 4-6 separate "bins" and they hold at least 2 ton.
But in the case of having it on the "floor" at the store....if there isn't enough call for it, it will get stale or even musty. So if you can get a place to order it for you, and take a minimum amount, and are a regular customer, they will be more likely to keep some in stock. Many places have to get at least a ton.... a pallet will hold up to 50 - 50 lb bags..... and many places that get it shipped in will have to get a minimum of a pallet. If they make their own, most "mixes/formulas" are based on a ton because many of the vitamins/minerals etc are added in small amounts......like 4 lbs per ton, 1/2 lb per ton, etc. It is often very difficult to break it down in less than a ton mix. If they carry the mix in 50 lb bags on the "floor" they are making up 1-2 tons at a time so that it is fresh for the customer.

Years ago, I was raising guinea pigs and had TSC order GP pellets in 50 lb bags. GP's do not make Vit C in their system and it has to be ingested from their food.... like humans. They did not carry it, so I asked and had to take 4 bags at a time, and then they found that there were a couple other people who would buy it. TSC is better about being able to order "partial pallets"... but it depends on the store manager too.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd love it!
Nadolig LLawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda. (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year).

Just edited my last post to change 'the stakes will love it' (the duck house that is) to 'the drakes will love it'......what IS it with my computer? (the autocorrect feature end up with causing me endless trouble as I seem unable to notice the 'minor changes' it makes. The deranged machine just changed drakes to stakes again......it seems not too like that word.

Just reading about the trouble getting bags of feed. The approx 50lb bags work out more expensive than bulk feed, but folk with a small number of animals don't want to have large quantities of feed which would spoil before being used. Maybe if there was a regular order, say monthly, a feed store would accommodate your purchase. Duckfarmerpa1, find out what your neighbours are using for feed as to what will be the most easily available and economical to use, and maybe you could buy

These days I rely on my many trips to the sheep shed to 'keep fit' rather than proper exercise, though I was a marathon runner in my heyday. A ruptured Achilles tendon and broken ankle put a stop to that. I doubt I could find the time to do the 'practice' now, even if the mind were willing. Working on a farm/smallholding is physically demanding enough for me now.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow. That's just pitiful. I wonder why that is?
I think it’s partly because the soil is mostly clay around here? Hard to grow alfalfa? In our town....I only know of one otheR farm with goats...but I’m sure there are more..but, at the feed store we go to now..not my hubby’s sisters store..oops..they grind it all...have my assortment, etc. except goat pellets. They have to order it in special. So I just get that when we go to TS. But he even says...his beet pulp..he gives it to me dirt cheep because I’m the only one one who buys it.. I think people just can’t grow alfalfa hay due to the soil...and so goats are a luxury.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
MUST goats have alfalfa? I don't know if anyone around here grows it. It is too protein rich for alpacas so I've not looked for it.

The local Farm and Garden store carries Poulin products (now 3rd generation family owned Vermont grain business) but I think I am one of the few (if not only) that buys the Alpaca and Llama maintenance pellets so they have to special order it since I only use 100-150 pounds a year. I have noticed that they have always had some when I've gone in this past year so they are either planning really well or are getting at least 1 bag in stock knowing I'll be asking. They don't carry any All Stock sweet feed so I get that from TSC. I mix some into the alpaca pellets, only use about 50 pounds a year, maybe less.