New Ram Questions

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We recently bought a new little ram lamb. He will...hopefully ....personality pending be our herd sire for our small flock of Katahdin ewes. We just got him the other day, and he is a little over 2 months old, We put him in a box stall away from our girls, because I figured he would want to calm down and adjust a bit first. Was that wrong? should he just go with them right away? because he is one fiesty little man by him self in that stall....he almost jumped as high as the window when my husband went in there to see himo_O
Our previous ram didn't do that, but of course he was a little bit older, and we put him with the girls right away. Honestly he was so crazy i was scared if i let him out in the pasture that he would run right through the fence:hu

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
You're right to be concerned, I've seen many a posting about wild sheep, new to a property, that just disappear. It will take this guy some time, and maturity, to come around. Quarantine for health reasons and for adjusting to the new property for at least 2 weeks, hopefully a month. During that time you can get him used to coming to a grain bucket!

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Should he be kept in the stall for 2 weeks to a month?

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ideally no, he'd have a little bit of a larger space once he calms down a bit, but it's up to you how you want to arrange your quarantine. I've kept sheep in a 10x10 barn for a month to quarantine in the past, works better when it's not too hot!

Latest posts