New Rules Concerning OTC Animal Medications

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
New policies will require a veterinarian’s prescription for many animal medications now sold over the counter including penicillin, several antibiotics and Tylan type medicines. It may effect wormers too. Goes into effect this June. We have the FDA to thank.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mods I double posted thread and can’t delete one. Oops and sorry :\

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I cannot find a comprehensive list... however I do know that the new additional regs will include all penicillins and combinations, all oxytetracyclines and chloratetracyclines, LA 100 200 300 etc.... all tylosins....lincomycin and such for scours in baby pigs..... and cepharin-sodium type drugs used for mastitis such as intramammary tubes....like TODAY and TOMORROW..... which we use for pinkeye under the eyelid as they do not sting when used in soft wet tissue.... talk is all sulfa drugs such as used for scours in baby animals...
Lutalyse and oxytocin are also rumored to be on that list but I can find nothing in writing yet....

If you use it for treatment of about anything in animals, it is probably on the forbidden list. Many of these drugs have expiration dates... and will keep longer at near full strength in the fridge UNOPENED... sulfa tablets/boluses will keep even longer if vacuumed packed and stuck in the freezer....
The rules, that I cannot find a list of what is going into effect in June, will also state that the vet is supposed to see the animal and specifically do a script for that animal/drug... and do individual doses.... so a vet/client relationship is MANDATORY so that they will sell you a bottle of xyz to keep on hand....

This has been in the works since they first came out with the original guidelines in 1996... and was implemented more for the VFD in the beginning.... if you want some very involved and complicated reading go the the usda site with VFD and animal drugs that are important to human interaction and use....

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
The rules, that I cannot find a list of what is going into effect in June, will also state that the vet is supposed to see the animal and specifically do a script for that animal/drug... and do individual doses.... so a vet/client relationship is MANDATORY so that they will sell you a bottle of xyz to keep on hand....
Oh gawd, it's hard enough to find any vet to treat or even look at sheep around here. 😡😠

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is old news. Went through Facebook over a year and a half ago.

One of my vets said, "Our requirements are a valid vet-client-patient-relationship which can be accomplished with a minimum of an annual visit. Then if you need meds we can let office know and can dropship or have you pick up."

I should ask them what that annual visit would be, though. I just bring something in for a quick checkup and that's it or a "real" visit for a real problem? 🤔

But I agree that this is stupid and unfair, especially for those w/o vets near or ones that don't or won't treat the livestock you have. And I'm sure some will be super anal retentive and not have any leniency or a heart.