New sheep - feed transition

Stephine

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’ll go look for those Alpaca Halters....
I use the cheap rope halters, but they're basically a double noose, so can't leave them tied up with them on. They can slip down the muzzle, crushing the nose and/or suffocate them.

There are also tiny alpaca halters or buckle halters that could work and wouldn't crush the face.
View attachment 87325View attachment 87326View attachment 87327View attachment 87328View attachment 87329View attachment 87330View attachment 87331View attachment 87332

Stephine

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sorry for bugging you again, but I wonder if they get enough to munch on... 😬
They ate their 1/4 flake of alfalfa this morning in record time, well maybe an hour, and then they just looked at me... and started munching on their bedding (wheat straw)... I gave them their complete feed mid day, which they devoured (my they are soo stinking cute and sweet. I have not been around sheep before and am struck by how sweet they are. When they are relaxed all their movements are slow and gentle) Anyway, they will get another bit of alfalfa tonight. Is it ok for them to have nothing for such long stretches of time? I am used to horses and bunnies with a different digestive system that basically needs constant input. Are ruminants just busy chewing their cud in the breaks from eating? Sorry, nervous first time lamby mom here.... 😄

Stephine

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I rather they seem fat than skinny through the wool. Because then they are definitely too thin/boney if you can visually tell they are hippy.
They look like happy meatballs! 😅

I don't know how you're getting them to eat alfalfa, mine hate the stems and grumble about the leaves crumbling. 😑

Are you planning/hoping to breed this autumn/winter? They seem like they'd be large enough to breed in November or December.

Looking at yours and pics of mine, I think yours are definitely built wider than most of mine. The one in front and on the right look to have the broad, beefy shoulders. Can you feel gentle bumps of the spine and hip through the wool or is it all smooth?
Oh, forgot to answer: no breeding planned this fall. I will give myself a year to see how things go and if we need more sheep and if I have the bandwidth to deal with breeding.