New sheep not eating much

ancient

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So I brought home 2 18 month old ewes Sunday night. It was a several hour drive for them. For the last t couple days I've been feeding them hay and some textured sheep feed. They seem to kind of eat the hay but won't touch the grain. I know it's been traumatizing for them so I didn't expect them to be pigging out the first day. Should I be worried or are they just getting settled in. Any tips for getting them to eat?

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did they get grain at their previous home? If not, they may not know what to do with it.

They are going through a lot of stresses right now. I’d take away the grain and just give them all the hay they want.

ancient

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the grain. The couple we got them from seemed to be busy that day and we also needed to get back before dark. She told me to text her if I had any questions but she's not answering my texts 😒
I've brought home new animals before but these guys are just terrified of everything. I don't think they have ever really been handled. I've never had any sheep or goats brought here like that.
For know I just go in for an hour or 2 a day and sit on the ground quietly . They move themselves as far back in the pen as they can and just look at me .
Going to be a long journey I guess